Question

Student
elampert
Message 1 of 27 (17,263 Views)
Accepted Solution

Printer not putting ink on paper. HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One

Product Name/Number: 

HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One

I have had my printer for approximately one month and in the last week or so when I printed or copied anything the quality was extremely bad, to the point where it was barely readable.  Yesterday, when I tried to make a copy, it would seem like it was printing but there would be no ink on the paper.  I checked the ink levels and they are high and just to be sure I replaced the black ink (the document was not in color) and it continued to print nothing on the paper.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help!

Elizabeth Lampert

Associate Professor
kkcb9395
Message 2 of 27 (17,260 Views)

Re: Printer not putting ink on paper. HP Photosmart 5520 e-All-in-One

Hi - Try following the steps in this document, which include printing a test page.  If the test page doesn't have anything printed on it, you'll know that it is a hardware related issue - printer or ink.  In any case the document should walk you through the steps to resolve.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
Student
SLKSkiMom
Message 3 of 27 (15,914 Views)

[ Edited ]

Went through the list and eventually got to solution, which involved running the diagnostic for cleaning printheads on cartridges.  Easy.

Honor Student
dunsberry55
Message 4 of 27 (14,554 Views)

[ Edited ]

Similar problem

HP Support Agent
MissTeriLynn
Message 5 of 27 (14,532 Views)

Hi dunsberry55,

I understand you're having an issue with your Photosmart 5520 not printing all the colors properly. I'm sorry to hear you're having this issue but I will certainly do my best to help out.

I'd like you to follow this document that will take you through some cleaning steps as well as checking most other possible causes for not printing all colors.

Please let me know if this helps!!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post resolved your issue, as it will help others find the solution faster :smileyhappy:
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

**MissTeriLynn**
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
KASCMS
Message 6 of 27 (11,064 Views)

I have followed the directions as outlined in the document linked:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c03241743&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

I was low on black and yellow and cyan - i replaced them with HP ink units the black was a XL unit.  I started printing and no black i reset the ink and reset the printer.  I then swapped out the XL for a standard unit.  I have followed the units and the black is empty in the Print Quality Diagnostic.  The strange thing is on the Print Quality Diag sheet the words are there but the black color box is white, the Cyan/Magenta and Yellow are fine.  I then clened the print heads and ran the align printer.  The align printer sheet only printed in Magenta and cyan - NO BLACK.  I just purchased 11 new ink cartridges direct from HP.  Is this printer dead?  What else can be done to figure out why the Black will not put ink on the paper.  I tested with two documents one with graphics and one just black text.  The black text comes out white and the graphics one only has the pictures on it missing the black and no words.  Is there anything i can do.  The printer is just over a year old so i would guess the warranty is over.

Honor Student
KASCMS
Message 7 of 27 (11,057 Views)

I just downloaded the most current diag tool for the 5520 and it did not help.  The black will not print.  All new ink and swapped out black with other new black and still nothing.  Will keep reading posts.

Regents Professor
Ciara_B
Message 8 of 27 (10,937 Views)

@KASCMS
Is the printer within warranty?
Tanks
Ciara
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Twitter: @Ciara_B_HP
Honor Student
KASCMS
Message 9 of 27 (10,919 Views)

It is just over a year old so no it is not under warranty anylonger.  Thanksgiving 12 to Christmas 13.

Student
ShadowPrinter
Message 10 of 27 (10,622 Views)

read through the solutions until you see the pictures of cleaning the cartrige vents. The wrapper adhesive may be covering that port. I cut off that and it Worked on exactly same issue you describe. And check all cartridges while there...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation