Printer won't "wake" up (2272 Views)
Student
ken_moen
Message 1 of 12 (2,272 Views)

Printer won't "wake" up

HP Officejet Pro 8500A Premium

Windows 7

If my printer sits idle for any length of time it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up. Any new print jobs (or faxes) get stuck in the queue and won't print. I must power the printer off and on and clear the queue in order to print. I can then send any number of print jobs just as long as they are sent with small amounts of time in between.

I have uninstalled the printer and software and reinstalled it. I have downloaded software and firmware to make sure they are up to date. I use three computers in a wireless network with this computer and the issue is the same regardless of which computer sends the print job.

Honor Student
mgshilling
Message 2 of 12 (2,236 Views)

Re: Printer won't "wake" up

HP Color LaserJet CP1510

I'm having the same problem. We have two computers connected to our HP Color LaserJet through the network. Our one computer is connected wirelessly. Just  like the above comment the printer wont print after it goes into hibernation, It has to be turned off and the queue reset in order to print.

Honor Student
xerzin
Message 3 of 12 (2,207 Views)

I am having the same problem.  I have an HP8600 Plus and when it goes to sleep it cannot wake up.  Even switching off and back on does not help.  It disapears from the router and nothing gets it back except a reinstallation which is very tedious.  If I do not get it to work I am taking it back and buying an Epson

This is very frustrating

Honor Student
Matt88
Message 4 of 12 (2,131 Views)

I am having exactly the same problem - HP seem pretty quiet on this so it must be something that they can't fix. Looks like I will have to take the printer back and get a brand that works.
Honor Student
xerzin
Message 5 of 12 (2,128 Views)

I had the same problem and must have been lucky in finding a help person that could solve the problem.  The issue is that when the printer goes to "sleep" it loses its address on the router so that when you send something to the printer the router has no address for the printer.  We can all tell HP about i but this seems to be too complicated or they are just unwilling to admit the problem.  The solution the tech person I spoke to was to simply "disable" the printer's ability to go to sleep.  She had me access the "engineering menu" where the time for sleep could be adjusted to 0 thereby disabling the sleep option.  My printer now never goes to sleep but I can always print when I want to.

Honor Student
Matt88
Message 6 of 12 (2,127 Views)

@xerzin Thanks for the response. I don't really want to leave my printer on all the time due to rising power bills atm. Too bad it doesn't just work as it should.
Honor Student
mgshilling
Message 7 of 12 (2,093 Views)

That sounds like a great solution, but my printer doesn't have a sleep mode option in the menu. It doesnt have the "engineering menu." I searched the manual online, but it said it should be in the service menu. Where the menu says there should be a sleep mode option there is an option for RFU. RFU has something to do with USB uploading. I think it may have to do with the fact that I upgraded the firmware driver. Can anyone help me restore the sleep mode option to the menu?

Honor Student
WiliamBuck
Message 8 of 12 (2,018 Views)

Same problem here.  Even if I cancel the job and wake the printer up, it still hangs.

When I turn the printer off and then on (takes ages) the job still hangs in the queue.

If I then delete the print job and send it through again it then works.

This is pathetic.

Any ideas? I really don't want to disable sleep (even if I could find that option)

Student
jhorak101
Message 9 of 12 (1,174 Views)

This does not seem to happen on all printers my Photosmart D110a will wake up and print everytime BUT my Officejet Pro 8600 Plus wont unless I wake it up by pushing the touch screen and or turninging it on and off after you wake it up open up a web browser and input the IP address and try to access the printe and open a command prompt and try PINGING the IP address, Everytime I have called HP on this problem they blame my network setting and or Cisco Router , Our profssor in our networking class at college calls this Bravo Seria  AKA B.S. and puts the blame totaly on the firm ware.

Student
Tonigirl
Message 10 of 12 (765 Views)

How do I get to the "engineering menu"?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation