Printing Problem with Black Ink Cartridge? (4877 Views)
Honor Student
hotlinks16
Message 1 of 7 (4,877 Views)

Printing Problem with Black Ink Cartridge?

My Photosmart c4280 all-in-one won't print my document, but it prints out a test page fine in colors. How do I test if my black ink cartridge is not working? I've just replaced it with a new one and now it's not printing anything other than the test page in colors.

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 2 of 7 (4,868 Views)

Re: Printing Problem with Black Ink Cartridge?

Hello Hotlinks16,

Thanks for the post.  With this one, from what you have described, I suspect either there is still some protective tape on the new black cartridge, or this cartridge has been depleted.  I've included a link below with some excellent tips on how to determine if the cartridge is out of ink, defective or not properly installed.  I hope this helps.  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00872324&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

I worked for HP but my posts and replies are my own....Thank you!

*Say thanks by clicking the *Kudos!* which is on the left*

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Honor Student
hotlinks16
Message 3 of 7 (4,858 Views)

This is very helpful.  I am going to try it to see if it works later. For now, I have replaced the "defected" ink cartridge with a brand new one and it's working OK now.  Still, I'm very curious to find out if the "defected" cartridge is really defected or not since it did show as having enough black ink in the ink level window.

By the way, my printer's display screen with the three buttons for Print, Copy, Scan functions (under the Cancel button) no longer display anything; it's just a black screen without anything on it. How do I fix it? If I can't fix it, which button is which (print, copy, scan) from top to bottom in a column?

Thanks for your prompt response and help!

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 4 of 7 (4,851 Views)

Hello again,

Good call, interesting that it does show ink levels, which tells me at least it was making partial connectivity with the printer in order to report back levels. 

On your second question, I've included a link below that has some great information on how to resolve the "blank display" problem.  It may be as simple as plugging in directly to an outlet, not a power strip or surge suppressor.  Hope this helps! 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01410697&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&la...

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00896316.pdf    (page 3, control panel button descriptions)

Control panel buttons

Label Icon Name and Description

1 On

button: Turns the HP All-in-One on or off. When the HP Allin-

One is off, a minimal amount of power is still used by the

device. To completely remove power, turn the HP All-in-One

off, and then unplug the power cord.

2 Quality

button: Changes the copy quality or the quality of

photos you print from a memory card. The default quality for

both plain and photo papers is two stars. However, the quality

produced varies depending on the paper type. For plain paper,

two stars represents normal quality. For photo paper, two stars

represents best quality.

3 Size

button: Changes the image size to 100% (Actual Size),

fits it to the page (

Resize to Fit), or prints borderless images

(

Borderless). The default setting is 100% for plain paper and

borderless for photo paper.

4 Copies

button: Specifies the desired number of copies.

(continued)

Control panel buttons 3

HP All-in-One overview

Label Icon Name and Description

5 Cancel

button: Stops a task (such as scanning or copying) or

resets settings (such as Quality and Copies).

6 Scan

button: Starts a scan. When a memory card is inserted,

this button advances to the next photo on the memory card

when pressed.

7 Start Copy Black

button: Starts a black-and-white copy. In

certain situations (for example, after clearing a paper jam), this

button resumes printing. When a memory card is inserted, this

button acts as a previous image button.

8 Start Copy Color

button: Starts a color copy. In certain

situations (for example, after clearing a paper jam), this button

resumes printing. When a memory card is inserted, this button

starts printing the image currently on the display.

*Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with (Accept as Solution) if it solves your issue.*

Student
skip49
Message 5 of 7 (4,826 Views)

Update HP softwear yesterday, all of a sudden the black cartridge ink (not HP but Cartridge World) would not work.  It would print a test page.  Tried another cartridge, no help.  Went to store and bought a HP cartridge, not help and now the color cartridge which has worked fine for months is giving an error message also.  Any ideas before I send the unit to the dump??

Associate Professor
stix4
Message 6 of 7 (4,823 Views)

Hello Skip49,

A couple of items stand out on this one, if after updating the software you encountered printing issues and yet the printer would print a test page, then we are looking at something other than a cartridge issue.  Something software related has been modified or moved.  I'm not sure which model of printer you have, but I'm including a link below with some great general t-shooting information.  I might also suggest doing a self test from the printer's control panel, that will tell us hardware wise if the printer is working as normal.  If you need some help with this, check www.hp.com/support and then plug in your printer model, that will take you to some help topics.  Good Luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02907259&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=5058336&tmp...

Honor Student
hotlinks16
Message 7 of 7 (4,816 Views)

Re: Printing Problem with Black Ink Cartridge?/Control Panels/Screen Not Working

Thanks for the help on the ink cartridge.  Since I replaced the cartridge with the brand new one, it's working fine in priniting. 

As for the display screens, none of the suggestions/solutions listed worked. Nothing is displayed on these panel screens.  Although I don't usually use them much because I use the HP application software for much of the functions, it'd be nice to have these screens displayed items.  Any other suggestions/solutions other than bringing it to a shop to fix it for a fee?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation