Printing Problem with HP Deskjet 2542 (8686 Views)
Honor Student
scrooge86
Message 1 of 15 (8,686 Views)

Printing Problem with HP Deskjet 2542

Hello all,

I just bought an HP Deskjet 2542 for my business, and am having great difficulty with it. I'm normally tech savvy, so it's aggravating.

When I send jobs to the print queue, they just sit and then disappear. No sound or action from the printer, whatsoever. The printer only prints fine from my mobile device, but doesn't help since I have no advanced options for printing of multiple slides on one sheet, etc.

Anyhow - I have reinstalled the software and drivers, and ran the Doctor program - and everything is showing that it is fully operational. I don't know what gives with this.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

Honor Student
scrooge86
Message 2 of 15 (8,684 Views)

Re: Printing Problem with HP Deskjet 2542

I am running Windows 8 Pro.

scrooge86 wrote:

Hello all,

I just bought an HP Deskjet 2542 for my business, and am having great difficulty with it. I'm normally tech savvy, so it's aggravating.

When I send jobs to the print queue, they just sit and then disappear. No sound or action from the printer, whatsoever. The printer only prints fine from my mobile device, but doesn't help since I have no advanced options for printing of multiple slides on one sheet, etc.

Anyhow - I have reinstalled the software and drivers, and ran the Doctor program - and everything is showing that it is fully operational. I don't know what gives with this.

Any ideas? Thanks!!

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 3 of 15 (8,639 Views)

Hi scrooge86

I understand the printer won't print from the computer but will print from the mobile device.

How did you install the printer? (cd, download)

Here is a url to download the drivers.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=5385254&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Lets find out what the ip address is for the computer and the printer.
The first 3 sets of numbers have to match for the printer to get connected to the same network.

On the printers control panel, press the Wireless button and the Start Copy Black button
at the same time. The Network Configuration Page and Wireless Network Test Page print.
Check the ip address for the printer and SSID. (network name)

If you have a valid ip address for the printer try and access the embedded web server.
Type the ip address into internet explorer address bar.

What are the results?

Here is a url to get to the run window.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXIRUc_D0E4

Type cmd, type in ipconfig.
Check the ip address.
Now check the ip address for the printer.
Do the first 3 sets of numbers match?

Now ping the printer from the computer to make sure the printer is being seen.
Type ping printers ip address (space between ping and ip address)
What are the results?

Please respond with the information so I can assist you better.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
gwmiller04476
Message 4 of 15 (8,163 Views)

I am having the exact same problem but am connected using a USB cable. So the problem for me has nothing to do with IP addresses. I cannot get this printer to print anything other than "internal" documents. I have reinstalled the software as instruted by the "Doctor" and it has failed to change anything. A solution would be greatly appreciated. I'm also trying to run a business. Hard to do when the printer won't work.

Honor Student
Hpwong
Message 5 of 15 (8,123 Views)

I am having the same problem. I have installed the printer software using the cd, uninstalled (like the print doc said) reinstalled using downloaded drivers and both of those ways being wireless and using USB. It is working my older notebook and mobile device, but not the husbands notebook with windows 8. This is the second hp printer we have tried!
It is not an IP problem, I checked that and again the print doctor checked it too and said it was fine, it just says to uninstall and reinstall.
Honor Student
piv4658
Message 6 of 15 (8,082 Views)

I am having the same issue. My situation is the same. However, when I set the printer up it printed the diagnostics page, the scanner works from the computer. The config page was perfectly legible. But, I cannot print any documents. The error I get is that the font is too small. Try printing with a smaller font. Sounds like a contradicting statement. But, thats what is says. Other than that it works perfectly. Please help.
Honor Student
piv4658
Message 7 of 15 (8,070 Views)

I have gone over everything you have outlined. Everything is consistant. I have tried to reconfigure 3 times. I can print from mobile devices but still cannot print from the computer itself. This is SO aggravating. Any other ideas?

Honor Student
piv4658
Message 8 of 15 (8,068 Views)

BTW... I am running Windows Vista 32 Bit

Honor Student
gwmiller04476
Message 9 of 15 (7,993 Views)

From the looks of things, there is a problem with Windows 8 and 8.1 - even though the drivers I downloaded were said to be for that OS. Clearly, this printer does not work with Windows 8.*.

And it appears that support from HP is not forthcoming.

So, my solution will be to return this printer, get a refund, and buy a different brand.

Student
Caper789
Message 10 of 15 (7,656 Views)

I did everything you requested. The ping test passed (3 packets sent and received). I have reloaded the latested drivers and still can only print internally and cannot scan at all. Says driver problem with scanner when testing with hp print & scan doctor software.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation