Question

Honor Student
TonisDesigns
Message 1 of 3 (142 Views)

Printing in black when other cartridges are depleted.

HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus e-All-in-One Printe

Printing in black when other cartridges are depleted. The manual states that you can, however, my printer is not allowing me to do so.

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 3 (131 Views)

Re: Printing in black when other cartridges are depleted.

Hi,

The printer allow printing once there is low ink but there is still enough ink to maintance the printhead.

As soon as the ink cartridge depletes, you will no longer be able to print till replacing the depleted ink cartridge.

Below is the information from the user guide which states the following:

For regular usage, this product is not designed to print using only the black cartridge when the color cartridges are out of ink.
However, your printer is designed to let you print as long as possible when your
cartridges start to run out of ink.
When there is sufficient ink in the printhead, the printer will offer you the use of black ink only when one or more of the color cartridges are out of ink, and the use of color ink only when the black cartridge is out of ink.
• The amount that you can print using black or color ink only is limited, so have
replacement ink cartridges available when you are printing with black or color ink
only.When there is no longer sufficient ink to print, you will get a message that one or
more cartridges are depleted, and you will need to replace the depleted cartridges before you resume printing.

You may find this infomation on page 91 of the user guide:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03026243.pdf

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Honor Student
TonisDesigns
Message 3 of 3 (125 Views)

Re: Printing in black when other cartridges are depleted.

I copied and pasted the following from the HP Printer Assistance Help Menu. It clearly states that you can print with depleted cartridges but I'm finding this to not be accurate.  It shouldn't state that the printer is operable when it is not.   

Print with one or more depleted cartridges

The printer can operate with one or more depleted cartridges. However, printing with depleted cartridges slows the printer and affects the quality of printed documents. If the black cartridge is depleted, blacks are not as dark. If a color cartridge is depleted, output is in grayscale. When possible, replace the depleted cartridge. Do not remove the depleted cartridge until you have a new ink cartridge available to replace. For information about how to install new cartridges, see Replace the ink cartridges.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation