Question

Student
drewpitcher
Message 1 of 10 (23,537 Views)

Shows a paper jam and won't print but there is no paper jammed.

I have a Photosmart C5280 that used to work fine and prints a print test fine.  When I try to print from a scan or from my PC it makes a lot of noise and draws in the paper like normal but then stops and doesn't print and show message " Paper Jam" and then ejects the paper it drew in with no problems at all.  I cleaned the rollers on the back and pick up rollers but this didn't help. What can I do?  My system is a Windows 7 64bit, Drivers are up to date, was doing nothing different and had used the printer prior to this.  Copy scans and prints fine.  Photo scans and prints fine too..

Dean
Dragon-Fur
Message 2 of 10 (23,531 Views)

Re: Shows a paper jam and won't print but there is no paper jammed.

Drew,

If you are willing to take another look at that printer, maybe this will help... no shooting the messanger, though... it's just a couple of ideas to consider...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Reset the printer - takes about a minute - instructions below...

Reset the printer

Here are two kinds:

1)  If there is a keypad, turn it off, then on and press # and 6 (keep pressed while turning on printer).

2)  No keypad?  Unplug while on, leave unplugged 30 seconds to a minute.  Plug back in.  (Be careful with this one - don't risk shock.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And... there could be "something" way down deep in there somewhere.. so:

• Pick up the printer and tip it upside down - gently and carefully - and then set it back down.  Honest, another member found a button in her printer last month and that's a lot worse than a bit of paper as far as a printer is concerned.  Then open the printer, get a flashlight (or a torch, if you are English), and examine every nook and cranny in that printer for lint, bits of paper corners, and hiding scaps.  It really doesn't take much paper to mess up a perfectly good day.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the "All Things Jammed and Stuck" document, which covers the "reset" (and not the button caper).  Take a look and see if there is anything in there that helps at all.

'Paper Jam' Message Displays on the All-in-One

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I hope this helps!                                 

We work hard to help!

When ever you see a Helpful Post - Click the Kudos Star on the Left as Thanks!

Did this Post solve your problem?  Mark it “Accept as Solution”!

Note: You can find the “Accept as Solution” box on threads started by you.

2012 Year of the Dragon!

Dragon Tips!

Install your Printer Software!

Look for your Printer’s Software at your printer’s own website!

Software, manuals, alerts, “how-to” information, and much more!

To see if there is software for your printer, Start at:  Support and Drivers

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
Intern
AmerEagle
Message 3 of 10 (23,513 Views)

I had this problem, and everyone said Print Spooler, but when I just plugged my All in One  into  a  different port,  it  worked fine, old one worn out. ( I'd  bought  a  HubMan.   Cute.)   Except  that  I  cannot  send  pictures  to  Facebook,  says  HP Instant Share Temporarily Unavailable, or  In Use Elsewhere, for days now.    There's an option to post to the web,  but   never  heard  of  the  two  locations,  which I frankly think should include Facebook and  other popular sites,  and I don't think that works  either.   I'm the only user of this computer.   Using  XPHome, SP3,  PSC 1310 SERIES, 1315xi,  firefox default browser, and AOL, which uses  I.E. , downloaded the up-to-date software/drivers direct from HP.   I have quite a few pictures scanned in,   can send in an email to myself,  (to preview how they come out)   and the picture is always an attachment.   Did a screen shot, and Paint  says  you  can  copy/paste  from  there,  but  it  didn't  work  either.   Tried  Facebook using  another  browser also, I.E. 8.   Hope  my  suggestion  helps you and that you can also  suggest something for me.  

If you ever get a blinking light and it says  check cartridge, you just have to change the cartridge that isn't working, if your test page prints in all  black, you know it's the color one that needs replacing.   They can only be re-inked successfully about  3  times.   

j-f Top Student
Top Student
j-f
Message 4 of 10 (22,440 Views)

I have a HP Photosmart 6510.  When I try to print anything, it begins the process, the cartridges move across and then it makes a horrific noise.  This is followed by a paper jam error.  Problem is I've looked everywhere and there is no paper or shreds of paper to be found anywhere.   The printer is less than a year old, not used often and covered when not in use.  So nothing has erroneously fallen into the printer.  I'm ready to give up on HP products.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 5 of 10 (22,421 Views)

j-f,

This article has useful troubleshooting for the paper jams you are experiencing. Give the steps a shot and let me know the results:
http://goo.gl/3Npsy

Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
j-f Top Student
Top Student
j-f
Message 6 of 10 (22,420 Views)

I followed each of those steps before posting, but none of the proposed solutions alleviated the print jam error and so is useless.

Distinguished Professor
-JohnB-
Message 7 of 10 (22,417 Views)

j-f,

I am sorry to hear those steps did not work out for you. After being through the article, the next step would be contacting support for servicing options. You can reach support at 800-474-6836. If you live outside the US/Canada Region please click the link below to get the support number for your region. http://goo.gl/kQDB

Best of Luck!
You can say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in my post. If my post resolves your problem, please mark it as Accepted Solution so others can benefit too.
Honor Student
Robert70956
Message 8 of 10 (12,527 Views)

My printer show a paper jam but there isn't one. What to do?

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 9 of 10 (12,409 Views)

Hi Robert70956

Please provide the following information so I can assist you better.

What operating system are you using?
Here is a document to check your operating system for Windows.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/which-operating-system
Here is a document to check your operating system for Mac.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03204293#N53

Please provide the full name and product number of your printer.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?tmp_renderType=findModel&cc=us&dlc=en&docname=c03770424&...

How is the printer connected? (USB/ethernet/wireless)

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
Honor Student
Robert70956
Message 10 of 10 (12,406 Views)

I tossed printer and bought a new one.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation