Question
Solution for printing issues for network connected printers
Replies (142)

Student
pdilly1980
Message 91 of 143 (805 Views)

Re: Solution for printing issues for network connected printers

Hello,

I have the HP Deskjet 3510 All-in-one printer.  Everything worked fine printing through the network and then I moved.  I set it up again through WPS and it all worked fine for over a month until yesterday.   Now, when printing (or attempting to), I get the message "Unable to communicate with printer".  I have reset everything, reinstalled software, and everything seems to communicate well with the printer.   I can even scan and it it shows up through my wireless connection through the Netgear CG3000D modem/router I use.  I was able to circumvent the printing problem by email to the eprint address yesterday.  I really just want it to function properly, just like it did in the past and like it's supposed to.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I am baffled. 

PS Running Windows 7 64bit on a Toshiba laptop.

Honor Student
cuthy
Message 92 of 143 (792 Views)

I have tried to follow instructions for my printer problem after installing new tri colour cartridge in my C3180 all in one.My computer is a Mac OSX 10.6 and the support page only mentions down to 10.7, so nothing matches the instructions on menus, etc.  I thought I was out of ink which is why I bought the new cartridge when the colour print turned out "violet".  Can anyone help me fix this?  Does it sound like I need a new printer? thanks for any help

Retired
SuperMario1
Message 93 of 143 (774 Views)

Hello pdilly1980. I understand you are unable to print wireless, and I want to assist you as best as I can! This document will provide generic troubleshooting for the issue. Please respond with the results of this troubleshooting when completed.

Hello cuthy. I understand you would like assistance troubleshooting a print quality issue on Mac 10.6, and I will do my best to assist you! This document, at the location specified by the URL, will provide good troubleshooting steps for this issue. Perform all steps you can, because if the issue cannot be resolved, then you will be experiencing a hardware failure on the computer.

Both of you inform me on your progress. If you thought the information I provided was useful, please mark this post with a Kudos so others can locate this information easily.

I look forward to both of your responses!

Mario

I worked on behalf of HP.
Honor Student
cuthy
Message 94 of 143 (772 Views)

thanks for your reply to a very non techy person.  I downloaded as you suggested but after reading the guide am now even more confused.  I don't want to print from anywhere, I just want to print at home and no matter what instructions I follow, can't do it.    After having someone else try all the steps, we have concluded there may be some sort of blockage as the trial print page does not show "yellow".   To take the printer to a technician would probably cost more than a new printer.  Regards  Norma

Student
JulietAF
Message 95 of 143 (744 Views)

I bought a new laptop, and had to buy a new printer because the old printer didn't have the drivers I needed.

The printer is an Officejet 4630. It set up just fine, and the first few times I hit 'print', everything was fine. Then I didn't print some things for a while. When I tried to print travel directions, the printer was 'offline.' I've tried what I can, but every time it seems that I get it working, the printer is 'offline' again. (It has sometimes popped a message about the 'scan to computer', but that goes out so fast I can't remember what it says.)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 96 of 143 (733 Views)

First try printing a printer status report to see if the printer has an IP address (it may be labeled as IPv4 or URL: on that page).  If so, click this link for information on how to do that.  If not, you may have to use a USB connection if this is one of those printers that requires it for the first time network installation.  If you are on a Windows 7 computer, you can go to the Start Button>>All Programs>>HP folder>Officejet folder>>and configure wireless again.  

I hope that helps!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Student
mcooks40
Message 97 of 143 (670 Views)

Hello,

I'm having the same issues with my HP Officejet 6700 printer.  I just spent 60 dollars on all new ink cartridges and I followed the troubleshooting steps in unplugging the power cord and disconnecting the cord from back of printer, and turning it back on,  but no such luck.  It still keeps giving me  the same error message " There is a problem with the printer or ink system.  Turn printer off, then on.  If problem persists, contack HP support."  

Well, the problem with that is , my warranty expired on 11-8-13.  I don't have money to spend on extra support.

Were you able to fix your problem without spending more money?

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 98 of 143 (657 Views)

To be honest, your problem is completely different than any of them addressed above. The Officejet 6700 is a great printer except when you get this error message because it doesn't have the removable printhead like the Officejet 6500. I want to send you to a different thread to post your question on:

--Officejet 6700: A Problem with the Printer or Ink System--

You can try this little trick to see if it helps - with the power on,

1. Remove the ink cartridges and inspect them for defects.

2. Look at the printhead for anything where the ink cartridges were that could be blocking ink from coming out.

3. Remove the power cord from the back of the unit while it is still on.

4. Wipe down the electrical contacts on the ink cartridges and where they meet the contacts inside the printer.

5. Make sure the power cord is plugged directly into a wall outlet.

6. Plug the power cord back into the printer after a minute.

7. Re-insert the ink cartridges and try to run the printhead cleaning utility in the tools if you can access the printer's menu before the error comes back.

8. Cross your fingers.

Student
marionrk
Message 99 of 143 (648 Views)

Canot print from laptop to printer saying printer off line but it isn't, works ok with PC

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 100 of 143 (639 Views)

What printer model do you have and what is the exact operating system of the PC you are using (Windows 7 64-bit, Windows 8 32-bit, Windows XP, etc)?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation