Question
Solution for printing issues for network connected printers
Replies (142)

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 11 of 143 (9,845 Views)

Re: Solution for printing issues for network connected printers

I can understand your frustrations now. When the printer appears offline again, you can try running the Print and Scan Dr. to see if it will take care of the problem for you. Here is my suggestion, however (set a static IP):

1. Turn off the printer and computer and then do a hard reset on the router by unplugging the power cord for ten seconds, plug it back in, and wait for all lights to boot up.

2. Turn on the printer and print a network configuration page to retrieve its current IP address and router settings.

3. Turn on the PC.

4. Type in the printer's IP address in a web browser to access the embedded web server.

5. Select the Network tab and go to Wired IPv4 and set the automatic IP address to a manual one without changing any configurations within this window.

6. After clicking Apply, while the EWS is processing the request, I usually power-cycle the printer at this moment. This step is simply to make the changes go into effect quicker. 

7.  You may also benefit from setting a static DNS as well but this is not absolutely necessary as the point of this is to keep the printer from appearing offline to the computer, which is not controlled by the alternate and preferred DNS server.  I will gladly post a picture of my settings to assist you with this.

Let me know if it works.  I understand if it takes awhile to know for sure.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 12 of 143 (9,844 Views)

These are the numbers I use when setting a static IP within a wireless Officejet Pro 8600 EWS.  

static ip 8600.PNG

I hope this helps!

Honor Student
flynnibus
Message 13 of 143 (9,837 Views)

The problem is not the printer losing it's IP nor the name resolution to the printer.

Why?  Because as I stated,

- the IP connectivity to the printer is not lost (you can still ping it)

- the same printer still works from other clients while the problem machine can not connect to the printer

- cycling the print spooler, which does not change the print driver's port definition nor actually touch the printer's ip state, clears the fault

- the printer port is defined as an IP, not hostname, so DNS is not a player in the PC finding the printer

Also during this condition, using Window's built in troubleshooting for the printer can not correct the problem.. which is why I previously had to resort to restarting the PC before it would be able to see the printer as online.  But eventually found that cycling the print spooler alone was enough to reset the condition.

The problem is similar to behavior reported here...

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/OfficeJet-Pro-L7780-H...

and discussed here...  (I think the suggestions in the above came from here originally..)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/forums/en-us/w7itpronetworking/thread/7fdd1716-e43f-4b68-8074-e7...

The common thread in these threads seems to be about state checking in the driver/spooler.  I'm away from the machine for the week, but I'm going to look into the parameters mentioned in those threads too.

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 14 of 143 (9,834 Views)

Yes, I understand.  Setting a static IP was a suggestion to assist you with this "printer offline" problem as it has been known to fix it.  It seems clear to me that you must have tried all the steps in those links or you wouldn't have posted them, but it is still nice to provide an alternative solution for what has not been working for you thus far.  Do what you will with the information since it is only a suggestion and not a proven fix.

So clarify for me then that you tried the firmware update and that didn't help?  As well, have you tried configuring the ports as suggested in the Windows link? 

Here is a link to more suggestions to try if you would like. I'm merely here to help.

Tutor
dennis95123
Message 15 of 143 (9,767 Views)

prabaa,

I tried to add a kudo for your response and it didn't seem to get counted.  Also, I can't find the "accepted

solution" tag to click on.

I have been fighting this for three days and this simple fix seems to have worked.

Thanks,

Dennis

Honor Student
luvkatz
Message 16 of 143 (9,576 Views)

I've had my HP Touchsmart D110a series eprinter for a couple of years, no problem...then a month or so ago, anything I would try to print would just be sent to my printer queue, saying it was printing, but no dice...everything since then just adds to the queue, but no printing happening, tho it says it is printing or waiting..all diagnostics/network checks come back as PASSED. This is all just from my PC, located right where my router/modem are placed, and like I said, until the end of April, I have had no issues with this. The testing all does print as if there were no issues, but if I need to get something (aside from diagnostics/network tests) printed, it just stays in my queue as if it was in process. I'm about to throw it out the window or go buy a different printer, as in my profession, even at home, I need to have things printed here and now. What the ???  I've always been happy with any HP purchase, but this blows my mind.

Honor Student
luvkatz
Message 17 of 143 (9,551 Views)

AND...now I've run the gammut of all kinds of HP help..so I uninstalled the printer with the promise from Print/Scan Dr. that it would fix...now I don't have anything to tell me how to reinstall without a disk! So I'm up the creek. I promise...I've done all I could. When I run the network/wireless test, my network name does show up, can print the test report, etc..but if it's not connected (I can't even find my printer on the lists of HP/Hewlett-Packard anymore for reinstall/Windows7 Update....where's the Photosmart D110 series???!!), how in the heck am I to print anything. I don't have offline checked, don't have pause checked, etc....I have unplugged, plugged, restarted..and according to my printer touch screen, its hunky-dory, but as far as my computer??? Natch. I'm about to give up and buy a different brand...I CAN'T do without my printer any longer!~

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 18 of 143 (9,526 Views)

To help you out with the main problem right now (unable to re-install the printer's software), here is a link to the driver's page for this printer.  Just be sure to select whether you have Windows 7 64-bit or 32-bit and click on the Full Feature Software and Driver's link to download it.

--Photosmart D110a Drivers and Downloads--

If installing the printer does not help you get your documents out of the print queue, what is the system type of your Windows 7 PC (32 oe 64 bit) and what is the printer's IP address and I will gladly do my best to assist you! 

Honor Student
vic19382512
Message 19 of 143 (9,524 Views)

heb het in orde gekregen,hartelijk dank. 

Honor Student
luvkatz
Message 20 of 143 (9,519 Views)

I did finally get to something that allowed me to install the update/driver...so far so good, able to print again...and I know sounding so frustrated didn't help me any at all, till I calmed down and gave myself some time. Thanks for your offer of help. I'm okay now...:catvery-happy:

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation