Solution for printing issues for network connected printers (19330 Views)
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 31 of 136 (1,205 Views)

Re: Solution for printing issues for network connected printers

I will be more than happy to help you print but I need you to answer a few questions for me please.

1. Are you able to print a Word or Notepad document from the Dell computer?
  2. What web-browser are you using?  
  3. What is the operating system of the PC you are having problems with?
  4. Is the Dell computer a wireless computer or do you have an Ethernet connection from the computer to the wireless router (in other words, how is the computer connected to your printer)?
  5. What model of printer do you have?

I want to make sure I understand that you are having problems printing in general and not just from the internet (which means email, news, etc).  See this document for more information: "Can't Print?"

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
Jerome7
Message 32 of 136 (1,190 Views)

On the Dell I am operating wireless. I can print tirelessly from any installed app such as Word, Excel, etc. I am using Windows Explorer. I am using Windows 8Explorer and haven a Windows 8Explorer print driver installed. It is a HP Officejet 6500 all-in-one prknter
Top Student
Jerome7
Message 33 of 136 (1,189 Views)

Windows 8Explorer print driver
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 34 of 136 (1,180 Views)

[ Edited ]

Have you tried the HP Printer Install Wizard?  This tool works great for assisting in finding the right print driver for Windows 8 PC's.  I suggest using this one first.

Also, depending on which model of Officejet 6500 you have, you could do what prabaa suggested in the original post and install the HP ePrint driver to work with network-connected ePrinters as well.  Let me know if either two suggestions work for you or if you need assistance in determining if your model of printer has ePrint capabilities.  The great thing about the ePrint driver is the printer doesn't have to have ePrint to be found on the network by this driver.  I hope this works for you.

Top Student
Jerome7
Message 35 of 136 (1,176 Views)

What I don't understand is it works with our laptop using the same network and the same printer.  It works on the Dell All-in-one for any application like Word, Excel, etc.  It only doesn't work when printing from the Internet.  It gives the message: "There was a problem connecting to the printer.  Make sure its connected and try again."

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 36 of 136 (1,173 Views)

It is likely associated with the internet app you are using.  Have you tried printing from the desktop version of the internet?  Did you try the Printer Install Wizard?

Honor Student
NHP_DTES
Message 37 of 136 (1,163 Views)

Yes...installed Printer wizard...some days the printer works, others, like today...it doesn't.
Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 38 of 136 (1,160 Views)

The symptoms you are describing is similar to what is called an ad-hoc connection with the printer.  If you connect directly to the printer's wifi, it disconnects the computer from the internet (often represented by a name like HP Setup_6500 as the computer's network name).  If you use a router, that is called infrastructure mode and allows internet to both computer and printer at the same time.

1. What is the name and model number of the router you have?  
  2. What is that router's SSID? 
  3. If you print a network configuration page from the front panel of the printer, does the printer's SSID (aka network name) match the one the computer is on?

Answer those questions for me please so I can determine the network connection and if this is possibly a problem with the router's ability  to aggregate traffic correctly.

Student
IronMountain
Message 39 of 136 (1,043 Views)

I've been tryingn to get my printer to work (8600) and it will print a test sheeet, but nothing else.  Tried wireless and plugged in - nothing.

Tried downloading ePrint...still doesn't work.

It's less than 6 months old and I'm frustrated because every time I need to reboot the computer the printer has been giving me problems.  Now I can't print at all!!!

ARGH

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 40 of 136 (1,042 Views)

I know it can be very frustrating, especially a new printer such as that.  I do not mind helping you at all but don't forget, you have an option a lot of people on the forums don't have...you have free support if you call in to HP (if in the US call 1-800-474-6836 or click here to find one in your region).

First I just want to make sure I have all the information I need.

1.  What operating system do you have (example: Windows 7, Windows XP, Mac OS 10.8, etc)?

2.  Which method do you prefer (wireless or wired)?

3.  Can you at least make a copy?

4.  What anti-virus software do you have?

5.  Lastly, which model of 8600 do you have (see image below)?

8600.PNG

I know it may seem like a lot of questions but I hope by the information I receive I can fix it in one step.  Answer those questions please and I will do my best to assist you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation