Question
Solution for printing issues for network connected printers
Replies (142)

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 41 of 143 (1,094 Views)

Re: Solution for printing issues for network connected printers

Hi folks

I bought a 6600 a week or so ago, and it worked perfectly for the first couple of days.  It is connected through wifi, and there are two laptops on the network, and all was well.  And then problems started.  Sometimes it wouldn't print at all.  Others it would print a job and then stop.  If tried everything in the troubleshooting guide to no avail.  I downloaded ePrint, and it only made matters worse--it either hangs or returns a message printer validation failed.  I have read everything in this thread, and there are so many things to try, I'm not sure where to start, so that is my first question:  Where do I start ??

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 42 of 143 (1,090 Views)

Well, it is working again from both computers--I did nothing to fix it, and therefore am nervous it will just stop again, so am still looking for ideas.  I also fired up an old XP-based machine to see what would happen, and it works perfectly as well !!

I would prefer it didn't work and that we could figure out why than have it work some times and not others.

Thanks so much

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 43 of 143 (1,082 Views)

I completely understand.  It reminds me of when I take my car to the mechanic.  It always works then. :smileyhappy:  

I think you will benefit from setting a static IP if you haven't already.  I am going to link you to a document I created which covers setting a static IP in full detail.  It also includes every step I could possibly think of to keep your printer communicating with the computer at all times.  You may even find your solution in my thread.

--How to Set a Static IP in an Officejet Printer--

Most of the steps I have included involve a little bit of waiting after each step so hopefully this is all you need to do to get this printer fixed up once and for all.

Keep me posted on the results.  I really hope this works!

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
sectorbets
Message 44 of 143 (1,077 Views)

No luck.

No surprise that the printer isn't working this morning, and when I try to access the EWS by typing in the IP address, in one browser it says This page can't be displayed and in the other it  says Unable To Connect.

Your thoughts ??

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 45 of 143 (1,074 Views)

I have been running the Windows troubleshooting code, and it thinks the printer is turned off, but it's not.  It is going into sleep mode, and maybe bypassing that would fix the problem, but there is no obvious way to do that.

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 46 of 143 (1,067 Views)

I'm taking the chicken way out--I can return the printer to Staples no questions asked until tomorrow, so I will get a shiney new 6600 and see how it behaves.  I will take all the advice here when I install the new one, so maybe that will alleviate any future problems.  I'll report back--hopefully with a success story.  Thanks for all your help.

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 47 of 143 (1,061 Views)

The new 6600 is installed with a static IP address, and it has worked flawlessly--for ten minutes !!

We'll see what unfolds, and will be back if there are any problems.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Top Student
sectorbets
Message 48 of 143 (1,051 Views)

It worked perfectly for a day just like the first one did (2 days in its case), and now first thing this morning--nada !!  I ran the print and scan doctor, and it fails the device status test, so I pulled the plug to recyle the printer, and no change.  It seems to think it is turned off which is exactly the way the previous one acted.  Even after recycling it.  I am completely stuck and need a solution since this is used in my business.

I am going to retrun it one more time, so will be back to you later

Distinguished Professor
VisionAiry
Message 49 of 143 (1,045 Views)

Sorry I didn't see the response earlier.  I will be more than happy to help you.  I suggest the Officejet 6700 if it is available.  If the printer loses its network connection again, it is certainly your network environment (wireless router) and I will gladly help you make sure it is setup to work with your printer.  The Officejet 6700 has an Ethernet port on the back where as the 6600 does not (last time I checked that is).

Let me know how I can be of assistance. 

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
Top Student
sectorbets
Message 50 of 143 (1,043 Views)

I am going to get a new router--the current one works fine with the three laptops, but i suspect there is an issue with the printers--it is about five years old, so probably time for an upgrrade anyway.

I'll be back to you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation