UPDATE: HP Officejet Pro All-in-One L7580 prints black inconsistently (236 Views)
Tutor
lindairene
Message 1 of 9 (236 Views)
Accepted Solution

UPDATE: HP Officejet Pro All-in-One L7580 prints black inconsistently

[ Edited ]

Update:

Today, pages are printing without the inconsistent fading. Now the whole page of black print is paler than usual. Does this change possible solutions? Below is FYI and background on original issue, tightened up a bit.

System is Windows 7 64 bit. All updates in place. I use only HP ink purchased from HP; no change in paper, settings, etc.

Black pages are not printing correctly: lines of unreadable print; some with top half black and bottom half very pale. If I print in any color, no problems! When this happened several months ago, cleaning print heads worked. This time, I've gone through all troubleshooting steps on HP, cleaned the heads 4 times and the issue is still there.

I can force a readable page by selecting "best" quality and moving color darkness to "darkest" but it is still a dark gray vs its usual dark black. The somewhat darker print is always at the top of the page, but the odd darker line of print will appear towards the bottom, too. This happens for printing and copying.

Any ideas? The printer is 5 years old and has been working perfectly up to now. It gets fairly light use most days

heavier use occasionally. Sure would appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Linda

Tutor
lindairene
Message 2 of 9 (200 Views)

Re: UPDATE: HP Officejet Pro All-in-One L7580 prints black inconsistently

This is more another update than a solution.

In the last few days, the black print is somewhat improved. Darkness tends to fade a little towards the bottom of a page and the quality is not was it should be.

Is there any chance this could be related to the ink cartridge? We use a large size for black ink and it is still about 1/4 full. It has been in the printer for several months since our printing load is usually light. Not sure whether to buy another cartridge to "test" it or bite the bullet and invest in a new printer!

I'm sure stumped so any comments definitely appreciated!

Thanks,

Linda

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 3 of 9 (190 Views)

Hello,

I see that you're having an issue with the print quality. 

I would suggest following this document, which will give you a couple of steps to resolve the issue.

Tutor
lindairene
Message 4 of 9 (186 Views)

Thanks for your response and your link. I had already checked out that article and followed through on all the steps.

Any other suggestions?

Linda

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 5 of 9 (184 Views)

Please check your private message inbox.

Tutor
lindairene
Message 6 of 9 (176 Views)

Thanks for your private message.

Have also "Kudo-ed" you - I will always thank anyone who is kind enough to take their time to try and help out a stranger in a forum! It is hugely appreciated!!

Linda

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 7 of 9 (174 Views)

@lindairene, no problem! 

What was the outcome to the reset? 

Also, thanks for the KUDOS! :smileyhappy:

Tutor
lindairene
Message 8 of 9 (152 Views)

Reporting back at last. Wanted to be sure things were working well before doing so ...

Didn't have to try the reset (but have saved your directions for possible future use - thanks!). Not sure what happened but the issue seems to have resolved itself.

Maybe the printer head cleanings took time to "take", but the test I just printed was back to its usual black, even with the original black cartridge.

I sure appreciate all the help you offered and the patience you provided. No wonder we're such huge HP fans!

Thanks again,

Linda

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 9 of 9 (142 Views)

No problem, I'm glad I could help. 

Let me know if you need anything else! 

Also, thanks for the KUDOS!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation