Question

Top Student
mishabear16
Message 1 of 5 (300 Views)
Accepted Solution

USB disconnected again this weekend - offline.

[ Edited ]

I believe we have a rather unusual setup and issue. We have an HP LJ M451dn printer in an office connected via IP to a house network and we have no issues with that network setup. It has a static IP outside the DHCP range, etc. and functions perfectly. The device is plugged into a UPS in this office (surge protection side only).

We wanted to use this same printer for printing reports in that office but from a different PC on a different network. Because the IP is set, we set it up to be simultaneously connected to that other PC via USB (the printer is not shared in any other way).

Once the drivers were installed, the printer worked fine for roughly 4-5 days before it went "offline". I spend a day troubleshooting and wound up just uninstalling and reinstalling it, thinking the USB port may have been corrupted. It worked fine but, again after about 4-5 days, the USB connection went offline. The Networked connection to the house network still works fine but the USB connection disconnects. I can turn it "online" again but any print job sent via the USB fails. The proper port (USB001 Virtual port) is in use. So far this has happened 3x over 3 weeks.
The OS for both PCs is Windows XP SP3.
Sleep Delay and Power Down delay are turned off.
Wake on USB, LAN, and Button Press are all on.

Can anyone suggest solutions to prevent the printer from going offline via the USB connection?

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 5 (280 Views)

Re: USB disconnected again this weekend - offline.

Interesting, I see the setup you have for the machine, and I understand the necessity for it. To start off we are going to perform an uninstallation and reinstallation through the method I am going to describe. Let's make sure that both the software AND the firmware are both up to date for this machine (both can be accessed in the link below). 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Install that and let me know the result! 

PS :: If this does not work, try installing the printer via USB on another computer and only use that connection. See if that fails also. If it does then there might be an issue with the port or the cord (replacing the cord is also a possible solution). But if it continues to work, then there is a conflict on the computer that is usually connected via USB. 

Have a great day!
Top Student
mishabear16
Message 3 of 5 (268 Views)

Thanks for the response. Last week, we downloaded the firmware and updated that in an effort to fix this issue. That part was already done. We also swapped out USB cables and power cords. We tried alternate USB ports (though a thumbdrive works in all three) as well. Additionally, we had been using the CD to install drivers from since this PC has no Internet access.

Here is what I have done today:

*Unplugged the USB and network cables
*Uninstalled the printer and the HP Update tool. Rebooted.
*Deleted the TEMP files
*Deleted any HP folders and files in Program Files.
*Scanned 'Printers and Faxes' and Device Manager to ensure the printer was not listed.
*Since the PC has no Internet access. I downloaded the driver only (LJM351_M451_Series-12200-drv_installer.exe) on another PC and transfered it via thumb drive.
* Started an install of the new downloaded drivers (plugged in when directed). I got an error that an install operation was taking too long and it failed. After some research, I found I should turn off the Smart Install on the printer itself.  I performed another install and this time it completed.

I am hoping this resolves our issue but it may take a week to see if we have any failures again.  I will chime in next week with any news. Hopefully I will be able to offer a SOLVED.

Again, thank you for your assistance.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 5 (258 Views)

Fantastic to hear, and I understand about the time frame, I just hope that you will know definitively shortly. As for the issue, I hope it does not return, but if it does you can download this utility onto another drive and transfer it over to take a look at your software. 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&docname=c03286146

Have a wonderful weekend! 

-Spencer 

Top Student
mishabear16
Message 5 of 5 (236 Views)

I just did a quick check and the printer is STILL connected. 

Thanks for the solution. It seems to be working now. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation