01-04-2014 08:13 AM
I have a Deskjet 1000 printer, and have tried connecting it to my Dell 6400 Laptop computer, but the printer WILL NOT PRINT in any program, (Wordpad, NotePad, etc), however IT WILL print the test page from the "Troubleshooter" help page.
I have switched the USB cable to the three different USB ports on my laptop, I have tried "printing to file" option, it STILL WILL NOT PRINT!! Does anyone have any other suggestions I haven't tried yet please, I am getting REALLY REALLY FRUSTRATED. Please HELP me??
01-17-2014 07:17 AM
Because you were able to print from the troubleshooter help page I suspect the issue is not the communication, the USB cable and port must be okay. It sounds to me like a driver issue, the steps below should resolve the issue.
Delete the printer from the Device and Printers by right clicking on the printer and selecting remove.
Removing driver from the Server Properties.
1. In the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder
2. Choose ‘Print server properties’.
- Win XP – With no printer selected, click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
- Windows Vista – With no printer selected, press ‘Alt’ then click ‘File’ then ‘Server Properties’.
- Windows 7/8 – Select any printer in the ‘Devices and Printers’ folder and click ‘Print Server properties’ above.
3. Click on the ‘Drivers’ tab at the top of ‘Print server properties’ window
4. Choose the printer you want to uninstall and click ‘Remove’
5. Choose 'Remove driver only"
6. The next screen will give a warning, letting you know that deleting the driver package will remove it from the system. Click ‘Yes’ to say that you are sure you want to do this.
At this point you should receive a message stating that the driver and driver package were removed.
You may receive one of a few errors when trying to do this. A few of solutions are available below.
If you get a message saying ‘The following package(s) can not be deleted’ or ‘The following driver(s) can not be deleted’ with your printer name listed, it will normally be followed by the reason. In most cases it will say that it is ‘in use’.
If documents are stuck in the print spooler, this error could be due to those. cancelling any documents pending under any printer, then try to remove the driver from ‘Print server properties’ again.
If it still won’t remove the package, restarting the computer and printer should resolve this ‘in use’ error and allow the driver to be removed.
Once the driver is removed, open All Programs > HP folder > Deskjet 1000 folder > Printer setup and Software. Select Connect a New Printer and follow the onscreen instructions. This will add the printer and driver back to the device and printers and should resolve the issue.
If this resolves the issue, please let me know, if on the other hand it does not, let me know what version of the Windows Operating system you use, thanks.
I work on behalf of HP
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Fixing Print Quality Problems for the HP Deskjet 2540 All-in-One Printers
- HP Printers - Print Jobs Stuck in Print Queue (Windows)