Question

Associate Professor
AuntieEm
Message 1 of 24 (19,531 Views)

Windows 8.1: Printer Offline Issue

Windows 8.1: Printer Offline Issue

If you have seen issues where your laptops/tablets has been taken from a private (home) network to a public network  and then not been able to print when returning back to your private (home) network.  This is most likely due to the public network settings not being reset back to the private (home) network settings.  If this sounds like an issue you are having- try resetting your network settings by following the steps in the documents linked here:

For Ink Printers, please visit this document to help resolve your issue:

Print Jobs are Stuck in Queue

For LaserJets, please visit this document to help resolve your issue:

HP Laserjet - Printer offline and unable to print on a network in Windows 8.1

Install this Microsoft patch to make sure this private-public-private network issue does not reoccur. It is part of the April 2014 Windows Update package for Windows 8.1 and Server2012 R2 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2919355). 

If you experience this issue before you apply the patch, you must manually reset your network settings for this patch to function. Please refer to the above documents for manual reset help.

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution

Honor Student
sinfullman
Message 2 of 24 (18,183 Views)

Re: Windows 8.1: Printer Offline Issue

Does this apply on dual band network? laptop is on 5ghz and printer on 2.5ghz.

Printer is still offline

Honor Student
mgallen
Message 3 of 24 (17,631 Views)

I have recently purchased a HP OfficejetPro 8600 and it keeps going off-line.  Previously I went to settings /hardware and in file I ticked online.  This option is no longer available on this printer and nothing seems to work!  Help!!

Student
maisiemay
Message 4 of 24 (13,792 Views)

I have a Lenovo laptop and have bought an HP printer & scanner. Every time I go to print I get a message "Printer offline".  I know it was installed correctly because it has printed previously,  Please help

Maisiemay

Top Student
Laserjet1
Message 5 of 24 (13,514 Views)

Hello All,

The printer goes offline due to proper driver is not installed correctly or if the printer port is not selected correctly.

I would suggest that you check the printer port (if the printer is connected via USB then chck if you have selected USB001,002... OR DOT), if the printer is connected via Network then check if the printer is selected via TCP/IP and then check the results.

Alternatively, you may uninstall and reinstall the driver and then check the results.

Regards,

HP Laserjet team

Top Student
Corban7
Message 6 of 24 (13,494 Views)

Hi,

Please check if the printer is printing the test page be removing the network cable

If it comes to ready state, Then connect the network cable and note down the IP address.

Type the IP address of the printer on the address bar of the  IE , check if printer web page is opened.

Go to the computer and right click on the Printer icon> Printer properties>> Ports, CHeck if its having the same IP address.

if its different>>> Click on ADD port> Standard TCP/IP>>> Type the IP address of the printer and Click on Apply

And try printing, if its printing fine, Then The reason behind offline is due the change in the IP address.

If you would like to change the STatic IP address , go fo it.

Regards

Reema

Student
sgaur2
Message 7 of 24 (12,617 Views)

Hi,

Kindly check connectivity between printer and computer. In order to check connectivity between printer and computer, kindly check the IP address on printer’s front panel. Suppose…it is 192.168.10.10. Now open web browser and type this IP address into web browser and press enter. It should open printer web page. If it does not open printer’s web page that’s mean there is no connectivity between printer and computer and if it opens printer’s web page that’s mean there is connectivity between printer and computer.

NOTE

If you are unable to check IP address of the printer then kindly print network configuration page and check IP address printed on the network configuration page.

If there is no connectivity between printer and computer

Turn router OFF then turn printer OFF then turn computer OFF ( the sequence of turning OFF router, printer then computer should not change)

Wait for 3 minutes

Turn router ON then turn printer ON then turn computer ON ( the sequence of turning ON router, printer then computer should not change)

Now type IP address of printer into web browser. It would open printer’s web page. That’s mean there is connectivity between printer and computer.

If there is connectivity between printer and computer

If there is connectivity then we need to perform next troubleshooting step.

Press “Windows + R” key together from keyboard and a new dialog box would appear named RUN.

Type “Control Printers” and press enter and a new dialog box would appear named “Device and printers”.

Right click on printer name, click on printer properties. Click on Port tab and check there should be check mark in front of IP address of computer. If not then perform below mentioned steps:

Click on “Add a port”
Select Standard TCP/IP Port
Click on “New port” and a new dialog box would appear named “Add Standard TCP/IP printer port wizard”
Click on Next
Under “Printer name or IP address” type printer’s IP address” and click on next
Click on Apply and OK to confirm

Try to print.

If issue still persists then kindly perform next step

Press “Windows + R” key together from keyboard and a new dialog box would appear named RUN.

Type “Control Printers” and press enter and a new dialog box would appear named “Device and printers”.

Right click on printer name and click on delete

Go to Desktop screen and double click on printer name.
A new dialog box would appear, click on connect new printer.
Complete on screen steps

A new icon of printer would appear in device and printers.

Try to print

Student
roysharma
Message 8 of 24 (11,033 Views)

I have a Dell Inspiron Computer. I bought a HP Seskjet 3545 Printer and wirelessly connected the printer. It kept on working fine. But since yesterday if I try to print it comes up with the error message "printer offline" Please advise me how to reet it to enamle printin again

Top Student
srippel
Message 9 of 24 (10,327 Views)

I have tried about everything listed on this forum.  I work for an office where multiple computers are trying to print on the same printer.  We never had this issue until we purchased new computers with Windows 8.  Even the guy we pay to come in when we have computer issues doesn't know what to do about this "computer offline" issue.  Yesterday it happedn 10+ times and is really becoming an issue as it is effecting our work flow.  Is this a blanket issue with Windows 8?  Help please!

Regents Professor
8lives
Message 10 of 24 (10,310 Views)

@srippel, are you using a static IP for the printer?

Wireless or RJ45?

What printer do you use? Make/model?

Did you run the "Print and Scan Doctor" program from HP?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please mark the post that solves your issue as "Accept as Solution".
If my answer was helpful click the “Thumbs Up" on the left to say “Thanks”!
I am not a HP employee.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation