Question

Student
ClydePDornhephe
Message 1 of 2 (94 Views)

Wireless OfficeJet 8600 offline

OfficeJet 8600 works well for a couple of months and then when i try to print it tells me it is offline. I have reset router, printer and restarted computer and still nothing works. It seems the only thing that helps is to reinstall the printer drivers every couple of months or plug in via USB. Frustrated is putting it mildly!!!

HP Support Agent
Gemini02
Message 2 of 2 (61 Views)

Re: Wireless OfficeJet 8600 offline

Hi ClydePDornhephe,

Welcome to the HP Forums.

I see that you are having issues with the printer going offline every couple of months and the only way to resolve the issue is to reinstall the printer software.
I will be happy to help you.

The PC can lose a connection to a printer because the printer's DHCP-assigned IP addresses from the router periodically changes.

To keep a device consistent in its IP address usage is to assign it a static address.

I have provided a document to setup a static IP for the printer if you haven't already done this.

Printer Does Not Maintain Wireless Connection.

Go to Solution two: Assign the printer an automatic static IP address.

Also check out the Tips for preventing wireless connection issues.

If you are still having issues then check these settings on the router.

• Do you have a dual band router?If it is set to 5 GHZ network you may need to change to 2.4 GHZ.(rename the 5ghz or shut it off)
  • The WPA key setting needs to be on AES to work correctly not TKIP.
  • If it is set to 64 bit encryption then change it to 128 bit.
  • Multi casting needs to be turned on.
  • Firewall on router has to have open ports for printer.
  • If you have Mac Filtering you need to give printer hardware address from configuration page.

You will probably need to contact the router company to check these settings.

Please let me know the results.

Thank you for posting on the HP Forums.
Have a great day.

What operating system are you using? How to Find the Windows Edition and Version on Your Computer.

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos Thumbs Up" on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Gemini02
I work on behalf of HP
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation