Question

Honor Student
catvet08
Message 1 of 3 (681 Views)
Accepted Solution

c6380 won't print black ink on 110lb card stock

Hope someone can help - 

I'm trying to print bag header cards for a small business on 110lb card stock on my Photosmart c6380 All-in-One printer.  I know from reading that HP printers seem to have card stock issues in general due to thickness and the way they feed paper.  However, the paper feeds through just fine.  And if I don't change any color settings on the printing, all text/borders/etc are printed in cyan (although they should be black).  If I change to just black and white printing, it loads the paper fine, sounds like it's printing, but the page is blank when it comes out.  I *just* put a new black ink cartridge in 3 days ago, so it's not out of ink there.  My photo black is almost empty, but it seems to me like that shouldn't matter since I don't have the settings on photo printing.  (And if it makes any difference, I can print the same file - in black - just fine on regular paper and on 90lb white card stock.  It's just the 110lb green card stock that isn't working appropriately.)

So...do I need to go get a photo black cartridge and get stuck using that for all my card stock printing?  Or does anyone have any other brilliant ideas that might help?  Thanks in advance!

Laura

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 3 (672 Views)

Re: c6380 won't print black ink on 110lb card stock

There are likely a few different issues here.  First, the green card stock may be confusing the automatic paper sensor on the C6380 causing it to detect the paper type as Photo paper.  Try changing the paper type from "Automatic" to "Plain Paper".

Secondly, it appears your black cartridge is not printing properly (despite being recently replaced).  I would suggest the troubleshooting step in this document, especially steps four, five and six.  If that does not resolve the issue the post here may help

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button ------------V

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Honor Student
catvet08
Message 3 of 3 (667 Views)

Re: c6380 won't print black ink on 110lb card stock

You, sir, are fantastic! It was the paper type - worked perfectly once I changed to Plain Paper. Thank you so much! You just cleared up a 2 hour headache! I'll still check out the cartridge, although it seemed to be working just fine on regular paper (and just printed fine on the card stock with the paper change).

Thanks again!
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation