deskjet 5150 (160 Views)
Top Student
wwill1066
Message 1 of 6 (160 Views)

deskjet 5150

I have installed the 5150 on an HP XP laptop.  It shows as an option along with my other printer, but won't print the test page and throws errors when I try to print anything else.  I've gone to Windows update and everything is current.  I've gone through the HP site for drivers, too.  Any help would be apprectiated.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 6 (135 Views)

Re: deskjet 5150

[ Edited ]

Just to develop a good base line to work from, we are going to uninstall and reinstall the printer through a systematic method. 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it. Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

Then follow this link to download the full feature software and drivers for the printer: 

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=dj-13656-2&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&...

Install that and let me know the result! 

Have a great day!
:smileyhappy:

Top Student
wwill1066
Message 3 of 6 (124 Views)

Thanks for the response, but no luck.  It got to "Please wait while the hp deskjet 5100 series is installed.  This may take several minutes."  After that I got "New printer detected.  Please wait......"  It has been 30 minutes with no change.  The only thing that looks like a possible problem is when the software detects the laptop I get the green check marks on everything but the OS.  That is a caution. 

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 6 (119 Views)

Alright, then follow these instructions on how to assign an approximate or alternative driver for the printer. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

Try the steps outlined there and let me know how it goes! 

:smileyhappy:

Top Student
wwill1066
Message 5 of 6 (99 Views)

I appreciate the help, but it still won't work.  I'm throwing up the white flag.

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 6 (89 Views)

Will, I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I hope that you have a good day and find a new printer for meet your needs. 

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation