02-04-2013 09:35 AM
I have installed the 5150 on an HP XP laptop. It shows as an option along with my other printer, but won't print the test page and throws errors when I try to print anything else. I've gone to Windows update and everything is current. I've gone through the HP site for drivers, too. Any help would be apprectiated.
02-05-2013 12:46 PM - edited 02-05-2013 12:49 PM
Just to develop a good base line to work from, we are going to uninstall and reinstall the printer through a systematic method.
First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it. Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer.
In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it.
Then follow this link to download the full feature software and drivers for the printer:
Install that and let me know the result!
Have a great day!
02-07-2013 10:55 AM
Thanks for the response, but no luck. It got to "Please wait while the hp deskjet 5100 series is installed. This may take several minutes." After that I got "New printer detected. Please wait......" It has been 30 minutes with no change. The only thing that looks like a possible problem is when the software detects the laptop I get the green check marks on everything but the OS. That is a caution.
02-07-2013 02:01 PM
Alright, then follow these instructions on how to assign an approximate or alternative driver for the printer.
Try the steps outlined there and let me know how it goes!
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One and 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer Series