Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended
hp envy 4520 printer
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan

How do I change ink color default to black?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hey @jim23433,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I see that you are trying to change the default ink color for your Envy 4520 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that, however I do not understand what you are referring to.

Are you trying to force the printer to print in black only? If that is the case then with the Envy 4520 you can remove the color cartridge from the printer. That will force the printer to print anything that should be in color in black.

If you are trying to print a document on your Macintosh and it is printing in a different color then you can correct this by doing the following:

1. On your Mac click on your Apple icon, go to System Preferences, and Printers and Scanners.
  2. Hold down the command key and click on the picture of the printer on the left side.
  3. Click on Reset Printing System.
  4. Click on the plus button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  5. Select your printer from the list.
  6. In the box next to Use click on Airprint and then select your printer.
  7. Click on Add.
  8. Try printing.

This should allow you to print in black from your Mac.

If you are having another issue then please provide me with more details and I will be better able to assist you.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great evening!

If this resolves your issue then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey @jim23433,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I see that you are trying to change the default ink color for your Envy 4520 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that, however I do not understand what you are referring to.

Are you trying to force the printer to print in black only? If that is the case then with the Envy 4520 you can remove the color cartridge from the printer. That will force the printer to print anything that should be in color in black.

If you are trying to print a document on your Macintosh and it is printing in a different color then you can correct this by doing the following:

1. On your Mac click on your Apple icon, go to System Preferences, and Printers and Scanners.
  2. Hold down the command key and click on the picture of the printer on the left side.
  3. Click on Reset Printing System.
  4. Click on the plus button in the bottom left corner of the screen.
  5. Select your printer from the list.
  6. In the box next to Use click on Airprint and then select your printer.
  7. Click on Add.
  8. Try printing.

This should allow you to print in black from your Mac.

If you are having another issue then please provide me with more details and I will be better able to assist you.

I hope this helps and I hope you have a great evening!

If this resolves your issue then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended
My HP Envy 4250 is only printing in black ink. How do I print in color?
HP Recommended

I am trying to print cards and the print keeps printing in black how do I change that to make the print in colour

HP Recommended

Hi @katrin1,

Good Day. Thanks for posting your query in the HP community. I read the post regarding printing in color. It will be a pleasure to assist you here.

Commendable diagnosis, superb troubleshooting and splendid description of the issue before posting. Hats off to you on that score. 🙂

I would require more information regarding this:

Is it the same printer model?

• Please let me know the complete model# of the printer.
  • Have you replaced cartridges and tried as the ink may be low?

For a start please make 1 color copy each from the flatbed and the document feeder.

If it copies fine, then you need to check the printer settings.

Please perform all these steps patiently as it is critical to resolving the issue. The trick is to remain patient, please. Please note that I am not overloading you with a lot of troubleshooting steps.

Instead, just like you, I am eager to ensure that the problem gets resolved. So I am providing you with more resources and information at your disposal to deal with the situation better.

Hope this helps. Let me know how this goes. I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great.

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.