Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

i have a 6500 e709n and am getting the general error message listed above.  how can i fix the problem?

Spoiler

HP Recommended

where is UR answer..????

HP Recommended

The answer is to start with the first steps:

--"A Carriage Jam" or '0X610000F6' Message Displays on the Control Panel--

or this document as well:

--An Alphanumeric Code (Example: '0x......' or 'C2......') Displays on the Front Panel When Printing--

If that doesn't work, let me know which printer you have (Officejet 6500a, Officejet 6500 E709n, etc) and I will also forward you the last possible step but nobody has ever confirmed with me if it works because it is simply a reset and will not help if you are having a mechanical malfuntion.

Let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended

I am having a similar problem. I have an Officejet 6500 E709n printer and the printer displays General Printer Error 0x61000 after a series of noisy mechanical clicks. What is the solution?

HP Recommended

It sounds like you have described a carriage jam.  The clicking is likely what the printhead is doing when it is stuck.  With the printer powered on, lift the lid like you are changing the ink cartridges: does the carriage move then?  If so, try a hard reset and a power drain by closing the lid, waiting for the printhead to quit moving, unplug the power cord from the back of the printer while it is still on, then unplug the cord from the wall and leave it unplugged for a minute or so.  Then plug the power cord directly into a wall outlet first and then into the back of the printer.

If it doesn't move, can you see if it is stuck on something? Can you move it with your hand?  See a previous link I posted here on what to do if you have a carriage jam.

I hope that helps! Keep me posted.

HP Recommended

When I lift the lid the carriage does not move. I am able to move the carriage with my hand fully to the left and to the right. On its own, it stays on the left side.

I followed the instructions on solving a carriage jam. there were no pieces of printer paper within the machine to remove. the last instruction was for a partial reset. when I did this, a message states that "used cartridges might not complete print..." and then the repeating error message returns "General Printer Error". (One of the remedies was to remove then reinstall the cartridges.) I am reluctant to fully replace the cartridges if the machine will still not work. 

are there any further options to try in repairing this?

HP Recommended

Try just taking the cartridges out, unplugging the printer from the back while it is powered on, unplugging the cord from the wall, waiting a minute, plugging it back into the wall outlet first and then into the printer and reinserting the cartridges?

If you haven't tried it yet give it a shot because it is the only trick I can think of but I certainly would not buy cartridges for that printer with that error message unless you want to contact HP Support (800-474-6836) if you are still under warranty. Too risky for the price spent on new ink.

HP Recommended

Thanks for identifying all the options for solving this. unfortunately none of them worked and my four year old printer is no longer under warranty. At this point, it's time for a replacement.

HP Recommended
Yup it's hard to fix it when you have the opposite of a carriage jam, without a screwdriver anyway. But that's a little longer life span than the average technology lasts. Besides there are many great printers out there now. Best of luck with your next purchase.

HP Recommended

hp officejet 6500 error-general printer error( 0x61011 bed ) what do I do to clear it

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.