Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Have already used tools twice to check/fix printhead etc and all colors check out except black.  Of course now the colors are running low due to checks but black is showing 2/3 full.  Have wiped the underside of black cartridge and still not printing.  

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There may be something clogging the printhead.  Do the mechanical printhead cleaning and check the venting on the cartridges as mentioned in this document.  If the vent looks okay, and the cleanings don't get the black printing like it should, then you should move to doing a physical cleaning of the printhead.  Bob_Headrick was kind enough to post the steps in this post.  If after the physical cleaning you still are not able to get black to print, then you will either need to purchase a new printhead, or purchase a new printer.  The printhead for this printer is not all that expensive compared to other models, but you can only purchase it straight from HP.  I'll link the information to get in touch with them below. The link will take you to a form to fill out. Once you fill it out and it is processed, it will give you the printers warranty information, a case number, and the phone number to call.

HP Technical Support Case Call Form

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature

View solution in original post

69 REPLIES 69
HP Recommended

Which models of the 6500 do you have, E709 or E710?

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I have E709 and the issue is not solved.  When I ran diagnostics, it found other printers on the system  and one was my first HP950 and it tried to print a test page on that nonexistent printer.  It is no longer in my programs and has been uninstalled.  I must have hidden drivers still in the registry from the old printer which are interfering.  Help me get rid of them. 

HP Recommended

Glad it's solved.  When I want to clean up the registry on my computer I use Advanced System Care from iObit.  It should clean out anything that you're not using and don't need.

Signature
HP Recommended

It is not solved.  I have reinstalled and the test page came out and NO BLACK INK.  I have read others having this same problem.  One person suggested buying Epson 545 and being done as no more problems.  I am sorry this machine is so much of a problem as I liked it.  Any more suggestions before I dump it?   

HP Recommended

Sorry, I guess I misunderstood.  There are a few more things you can try if you haven't done them yet.  First I would try the steps in this document to make sure it's not something in the printer's hardware that's causing it.  If your not getting black to print straight from the hardware, then you can just stop and replace the printer.  If it looks like it's cleared up, try printing from the computer.  If it's still not printing black from the computer, then move on to this document, but if the hardware has gone out, don't mess with checking the software.  Let me know what happens.

Signature
HP Recommended

im having the same exact problem with my officejet 6500 the black ink won't print and i just went out yesterday and bought a new cartridge and it doesn't fix the problem.  I can't get it to print from the printer hardware or from the computer software.   From the computer i created an mspaint image and made one red star and one black star. The red prints fine, but the black star is light grey almost silver.  i checked the properties thinking that someone might have changed it to "greyscale", but is not changed.  It is set to print color.

HP Recommended
I have the same problem with my 6500. I cleaned and then replaced the printhead. I also exchanged cartridges. Problem not solved. What is the cause of this problem? Can it be fixed? How?
HP Recommended

@Kenteeple and @oli22  If you make a copy, will that print black?

Signature
HP Recommended
No, it does not work. A copy won't print black
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.