Question

Top Student
Beegood
Message 1 of 6 (2,282 Views)
Accepted Solution

hppsdr.exe virus

1 problem leads to another.

Unable to download HPPSdr.exe - Norton anti-virus found a virus and would not allow download

Can anyone please help

Regards

Regents Professor
lions99
Message 2 of 6 (2,263 Views)

Re: hppsdr.exe virus

Hello

Have you tried disabling the anti-virus, and then installing the software?

Top Student
Beegood
Message 3 of 6 (2,258 Views)

Thank you for your response.

Yes I disabled the Norton Smart Firewall and the Antivirus Auto_Protect but still rejected.  However, I think it is Microsoft which is rejecting the download. The download works but it is immediately deleted.  If Norton AV is running at the time of the download, it displays a pop-up on completion of the download saying the file is OK.  I have played around with the MS Intenet settings using the Tools tab but cannot find the right component to disable????

The reason I wanted to download the Printer & Scanning Doctor was to help me fix the scanning problem I have with my HP Deskjet 3520. (cannot scan from printer control panel or my HP Pavilion g - currently using the webscan work around).  It's possoble that I do not have the full functional software loaded on my laptop  but when I try to download the software from the HP site I get the same virus problem.

Hopefully you can help with both the download and scanning problem.

Regards

Top Student
Beegood
Message 4 of 6 (2,242 Views)

Well, well, I am baffled but relieved and pleased.  I tried downloading hppsdr.exe a few minutes ago with Norton AV running and it worked.  Furthermore, when I ran it, it told me that I had not got the fully functional driver and it took me through a download procedure to install a driver wizard which would select the right driver to download for me.  When I ran this, it told me that I had the driver and did not need to download and that I should connect my laptop to the printer via a USB cable and this would then give me the basic driver functionality - not what I wanted.  Having successfully downloaded scan doctor I located the fully functional driver (66.86Mb) and tried my luck at downloading this.  The download worked and when I ran it I was presented with what looked like all the features including scanning from my laptop which also worked perfectly.  Brilliant!!  Problem solved but do not know why my downloads were being rejected previously.  Anyway, thank you for your help.  I will not pester you anymore (today).

Regards

BeeGood

Honor Student
Watachi
Message 5 of 6 (1,286 Views)

Problem - when I ran HP doctor my computer became disfunctional.  Began to troubleshoot and first first thing I noticed was the system information was unattainable- Cannot access the Windows Management Information Software.  Windows Management files may be moved or missing???  Went to control panel and clicked on Security Center- When I clicked on Firewall it was off and I got this message- Windows Firewall Settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running.  Do you want to start the Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) Service.  I clicked YES.  Another message: Windows cannot start the windows Firewall/ICS Service??  I also noticed in the Device Manager  under devices that hp scanjet and Unknown Device there is a large yellow question mark??  

My computer functions to a degree but I cannot keep going without a firewall or access to Windows Management Files.  It appears that I will have to reformat which is a pain in the butt.  I have 2 top rated anti-spyware/virus programs but with my firewall missing I have a serious problem.  I am presently shutting down when I'm not using my computer but having to go thru start-up each time is frustating.  Another thing that I run into is HP keeps giving me a message that the printer is

not connected; yet I can print, copy, scan etc...  But the scan progam selection folders have completely changed?

JWW

Top Student
Beegood
Message 6 of 6 (1,241 Views)

Hi,

I am just your average punter, no expert.  But looks like you have multiple problems which may be inter-related.  If you are still having a problem with your firewall have you tried to uninstall and then re-install it.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation