Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

My L7780 show error message "Alignment failed. Refer to device documentation for details." and it won't print correctly with solid color.

I already did the following:

- clean the printer with compressed air

- turn the printer on and off and on again (Unplug and plug it back on too)

- remove and replace cartridges (they are new and I clean all the part)

- clean the printhead (they only have 250 pages count!!)

And the printer still give me the alignment problem

Please Help!

Thanks

Tom

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi austintt,

Welcome to the HP Consumer Printer Forums.

Here is a list of things to check when you are having trouble aligning the print head:

• Power light is on and not blinking. When the device is first turned on, it takes

approximately 45 seconds to warm up.

• The device is in the Ready state, and no other lights on the control panel are lit or

blinking. If lights are lit or blinking, see the message on the control panel.

• Ensure power cord and other cables are working, and are firmly connected to the

device.

• All packing tapes and materials are removed from the device.

• Rear access panel or duplexer is locked into place.

• Paper is loaded correctly in the tray, and is not jammed in the device.

• Ensure the orange protective caps have been removed from each printhead.

• Printheads and ink cartridges are properly installed in their correct color-coded

slots. Press down firmly on each one to ensure proper contact.

• Printhead latch and all covers are closed.

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi guys,

I'm afraid I have exactly the same problem and have done all the things suggested above but the printer stills fails to align.  My printer is the same model and has fairly new printheads and plenty of ink (geninue HP cartridges).  More help for both Austintt and I much appreciated!

Thanks

Carol

HP Recommended

Hi carol,

This issue seems to revolve around either clogged or bad printheads. Since you have done the steps above, here is an article that should help:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c01325135&jumpi...

🙂 If I have helped in any way, just click the Kudos star on the left. Also, if your issue has been resolved, don't forget to select Accept as Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the very comprehensive information.  I have followed all the instructions on the document you sent the link for short of replacing the printheads or getting the printer serviced.  Nothing works.  We get only cyan and magenta boxes on the test sheet when it prints - so there is nothing coming through from the brand new black cartridge or the yellow one at all.  The printheads are only a couple of months old and were very expensive.  I think I could get them replaced under warrenty but that would leave me with no printer for quite some time - is there anything else that can be done that you can think of please?

Thanks and best wishes

Carol

HP Recommended

Since the printheads are only a couple months old, it may be clogged. You have 2 printheads, one is the cyan/magenta one (that seems to be fine), and the other is a black/yellow one (that seems to be the culprit).

Here is an article on how to clean/replace the printhead(s):

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01446637

If that does not work, here are a couple posts that explain an alternate method of cleaning a clogged printhead, but since the printheads should still be under warranty, I am not sure this would be the best option:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software/what-does-it-mean-if-the-magenta-and-cyan-c...

and

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Other-Printing-Questions/HP-6500-Office-jet-E709a-Black-printer-cartrid...

HP Recommended

Hi Gordon

Thanks for the info - I have followed all the instructions given and the printer still will not print in black or align itself properly.  I am going to send the printhead back for a replacement and try that.  I'll let you know if that clears the problem or not, but I guess it will take a couple of weeks!

Thanks and best wishes

Carol

HP Recommended

I have done all of the steps and tried to realign again.  It still said that it failed, however in it's test it printed a partial copy of a document that I printed months ago.  There is nothing in the copy area, and I'm unsure why it would do that.  It still said that the realignment failed, but I went ahead and tried to print my documents again and it seemed to worked.  I'm glad I got it to work this time, but should I be concerened that my printer is malfunctioning, by printing an image of a copy that I had made months ago on the re alignment report. 

HP Recommended

That is very interesting.  I would not be concerned at all unless it does it again.  If it happens again, then you will benefit greatly from starting a new thread because that is a very rare problem and you will get a higher response rate if you explain what it is doing in a new post.  Hopefully it doesn't happen again and I am glad you were able to get the printer to align finally.  I hope this answers your question. 🙂

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" if I helped solve your problem.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.

Every problem has a solution!
HP Recommended
Thanks for your help I was able to at least stop the lights from blinking however, I am still not seeing any information printed on the paper and I just bought new ink cartridges.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.