Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

Cleaning the rollers did nothing to stop the grinding of gears sound that happens approx 1-3 times a day.

I have not had time to call a rep... Do you think a phone rep will have more options to remedy this issue than an online rep?

I just want a reliable HP printer that can print photos or invoices if I choose without startling grinds. The model you suggested is more than I'd like to pay right now but more so, does more than I need it to, plus it looks like a beast. I do like the sleek design of the 5520 as it fits nicely on the desk. Is there a similar option to the 5520 that is not an all-in-one? I don't necessarily need the scanner as I have a separate HP scanner that still works well even 9 years old. How can I be sure the next HP model I choose won't have the same "grinding gear" issue? looking around online this seems to be happening to others with this and other newer models. Thanks

HP Recommended

Thanks for the "how to" documents, however, the jamming has been a problem only after the "grinding" commenced.  I had already cleared the jam several times. Nothing so far truly addresses the grinding issue. I will have a professional look at it to determine if it's worth fixing.

I used to really like HP.

HP Recommended

polymer,

The phone rep will walk you through the same steps I am sending.  The only difference is, if I can't help you, you are on your own.  The online rep can help get a replacement printer on the way to you, if the troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue - especially since you are still in warranty.

Let's focus on getting what you have, working, and then make the judgment call on whether it will suit your needs.  The printer you have should not be making loud grinding noise, even though that is often a relative term.

Please let me know how it goes.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

someone talking me through the link posted to clean the inside won't do anything. I will make time to call a rep for other options some time this weekend when time allows. I'm very disappointed in this HP printer. Having 2 of the same model do the same thing and a friend saying hers does it too is bizarre and suggests a problem with the whole model line in general. I'm eyeballing the HP 8100.

HP Recommended

That's why I'm suggesting to call in and explain that to the rep you speak to.  At least see what they can offer to do for you.

Signature
↙-----------How do I give Kudos?| How do I mark a post as Solved? ----------------↓
HP Recommended

Well that was not helpful. I decided to take it to a reputable repairman. Apparently the grinding is a gear problem, like broken. Unfortunately HP is not supplying parts for my older printer or I would have had it repaired. Good luck to others with the newer HP printer and hope that HP will carry the part you need to eliminate the grinding.

HP Recommended

Hi Snuffy,

Thanks for updating the thread regarding your issue.  You never mention which printer you have, but you say it is an older printer.  How old?  The average lifespan for a printer is 5 yrs.  The only parts that are ever sold to consumers, are parts that the customer can replace, and gears are not a replaceable part.

Good luck!

Signature
HP Recommended

Yes, I noted my HP was Photosmart D100 series in a previous message.

Perhaps it was not a "gear" but that is what it sounds like. Repair tech said HP did not carry the part any longer. It doesn't matter now since it can't be fixed. I received the printer new in 2011 as a gift. I would expect it to last more than 2 years.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with you ....http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printing-Issues-Troubleshooting/HP-DESKJET-produces-grinding-noise-and-...

but now my printer wont print by itself so i have to manually feed the paper after hearing a beep sound. .. try cleaning this gear .. . and dont use your printer for printing until you have clean that area before its too late or gets broken like mine...put some oil or clean that spring, gear and everything below that gear.

HP Recommended

Dear all,

HP 5520 - Do not buy this printer!!

If you already have got one, like us, you have just wasted your money.

As you all state, after a very short period of time the printer starts to exhibit the 'Loud thumping and grinding noise'. We are now due to have our third one replaced! The HP customer services repeat that 'due to the terms and conditions of the warranty that they cannot replace the printer with a different model and can only replace with the same model', so we are all stuffed! Plus, the one they replace your printer with is refurbished, not new. Our third one came without the label on the right side revealing the screw hole. The hole has scratches around it where the sticker had been taken off with a screwdriver or metal tool. Obviously refurbished!!

Customer services say they will deal with the issue, but the issue doesn't ever go away as the replacements are refurbished and have the same issue! We have just wasted an hour on the phone and got nowhere. Well done HP for royally shafting your customers with a crap product. They say that this unknown issue only happens in a small percentage of cases, but I had to ask how they knew that if it wasn't a known issue! No answer to that one apart from the 'under the terms...da da da repeated stock answer.

But while on hold for the fourth time tonight I searched for known errors on this printer as the customer services say "It is not a known issue to HP", and guess what here you all are including the HP Expert who can't fix it either.

Not a known issue, Really????

So I repeat, if you are looking to buy this printer and searching the web for comments, here's mine, DON'T BUY THIS ONE!!

I work in a drawing office and have multiple HP printers which all work fine, but not this one, two, three, oh and my neighbours 5520, oh and all of you. So HP, you should seriously look at this product, because it has a known fault.

Yours

Disgruntled customer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.