Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Experiencing 'Printer Blocked' or 'Printer Error' message? Click here for more information.
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our Black or Color Ink Not Printing, Other Print Quality Issues info about: Print quality and Cartridge Issues.
HP Recommended

I'm still using my 2nd, exchanged, 5520 model which began grinding within the first 10 prints. I gave up and just use it and apologize to my customers who are present when it screams. It always begins conversation about what garbage this printer is and I've had a handful of people note the model to ensure they stay away from it.

My friend's 5520 does it too but she doesn't like to complain... and obviously it would have been nothing more than a waste of her time since HP doesn't really address this issue with a valid remedy.

I haven't even addressed that it prints rather poorly.

Hey disgruntled... what are the other models have you been happy with? IS there a newer model you can recommend from experience?

I have an older large format 500 and an older desktop 6122 which both are work horses. Amazing they're still running after so many years without issue, yet the 5520 is garbage out of the box. What gives HP? Why hasn't this been recalled and exchanged for better quality.

HP Recommended
Hi Polymer,

We also have an old HPC5280 which is a great printer and has never gone wrong but not wireless, hence the reason we bought another HP.

We even offered to pay for an upgrade to a different model but they were having none of it, you see HP clearly would rather waste their money on UPS deliveries, engineers labour, scrap & support centre costs rather than accept to change to a different model in the first place. Crazy.
HP Recommended

Hi all,

We are on our 4th printer now and guess what  - its grinding!

HP Recommended

Hi Andrew6A.

I understand you are experiencing grinding noise again from your printer. Could you verify what type of printer you have please? Click on this website to find out this information: Model Number.

Please follow these steps in an HP these documents to try and resolve your issue: Grinding Noise, and Printer Makes Noise When Printing.

Make sure you are plugging this printer into a direct wall, not a surge protector.

Let me know if these steps resolve your issue.

Ashley

I worked on behalf of HP.
HP Recommended

Cheetah12.  I too have the grinding issue.  By now HP should know of this issue.  Has there been an actual fix to this issue? Or should I just replace my printer every time it grinds?

HP Recommended

no fix I know of. This printer is garbage... mine still grinds and sqeals every few days. it's a pile of junk and has never printed quality photos. I print better quality photos on my dinosaur HP deskjet6122 that I have had longer than I even know.

HP Recommended

I am on my second HP 5520 now having received a replacement about a week ago... things were looking good until today. Grinding noise and paper jam :HalfEyes:

Just checked the HP website. I am surprised that HP are still selling this printer - at least in Australia. Surely they should just dump or recycle the lot of them?

This printer has been a big disappointment.

As a previous poster suggested, HP should give customers a credit amount for what they have already paid and allow them to purchase a different model which doesn't have this engineering fault. Will be checking reviews much more carefully before my next printer purchase.

edit: 22/12/15

The grinding noise has stopped. Although I am not certain I think it may have had something to do with the type of paper I am using. I bought a different brand of paper and the noise stopped.

HP Recommended

5th March 2015.   UK.

My 3 month old 5520 was replaced in january 2015, by the seller as it was trying to out-do our washing machine, in the noise department.

The replacement seamed fine but  about 10 days all hell broke loose, it sounded like battle tank running over a row of tin cans filled with plastic bottles. and crunchy bones

I'm taking it back for a refund and after many years I will never buy a HP printer again.........     Hi, Epson here I come

Rergards from the UK.   R

HP Recommended

Hey guys and HP,

I have isolated the problem on my DeskJet 5525. It is a motor located on the back and to the right of the base. Attaching a picture to see. I am also preparing a video.

Is this motor replaceable? I also saw that there are some tubes supplying some type of fluid to the motor but they seem not to send any. Maybe this is the problem? Have a look and post back.

Thanks

DSC_1852.JPG

HP Recommended

I have an HP5520 which is less than 6 months old and has been making this noise from the very beginning. After reading this thread and how arrogant and dismissive the HP "customer service" has been, I am now resolved to never use HP again. I was hesitant to buy HP in the first place, as I have heard they are unreliable. I guess I should have listened...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.