06-30-2012 05:03 PM
error light blinking, window says scanner failure. turn off and then back on. When I do, a loud grinding sound occurs for about 2 minutes and then nothing but the error message. using windows XP O/S. Please help
07-02-2012 12:16 PM - edited 07-02-2012 12:17 PM
This can be created by phisical obstruction Please go to this article I should help The Product Makes Noises
altough this article is created for problems with printing most of the steps describe will help with your issue as well.
Let me know the outcome and I will do my best to help you if you need further assistance.
Hope this Helps!
07-02-2012 02:12 PM
I did all that you suggested, but alas did not solve my problem. I even hooked the printer up to another computer with a different O/S system and it is still giving me the gears. Literally, the printer sounds like it's grinding its gears for 2-3 minutes before the error light come on.
It has done this before if the power bar is turned off before the printer power is off. But I have solved it by unplugging from the power bar for a few minutes then back on. But this hasn't helped in the last 2 episodes. I have also fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing the software. But this hasn't helped this time. Been trying for 3 days now, about to toss it, but I just bought 2 new cartriges for it!!
07-05-2012 10:14 AM - edited 07-05-2012 10:42 AM
I see mcgj, welcome to the HP forums;
Update the firmware to eliminated the probability a currupted file in the install. Uninstall the printer and reinstall, I will make sure that all instances of the printer are remove before dowloading from the Main support page for your printer. Go to software and drivers download and select your operating system. You should also upgrade the firmware of the printer.
Hope this helps!
- HP LaserJet Printers - 'Printer is offline' Message Displays on the Computer and the HP Printer Will Not Print
- HP Single-Function and Multifunction Printers - Find and Fix Common Printer Problems Using HP Diagnostic Tools for Windows
- Using the HP Print and Scan Doctor for Windows to Help Resolve Printer Issues
- Printer Prints a Blank Page or Does Not Print Black or Color Ink for the HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One Printer Series
- A 'Paper Jam' Error Displays on the HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One and 6700 Premium e-All-in-One Printer Series