Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Suddenly, without notice, my printer acted as though there was  a paperjam... although when I checked, there was no paper jam and the carriage was in the right position. I followed the proceedure to clear the jam, but I am unable to move the printer carriage fromt the right position. I dont want to force it... please help.  I need this thing to work.

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

Hi - You can try the steps in this document to see if it resolves the problem.

Hope that helps.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos thumbs up. Please mark the post that solves your problem as an Accepted Solution so other forum users can utilize the solution.

I am an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I managed to fix this problem! But it will take more than a little effort...:
0. Disconnect the printer from the Mains.
1. You have to remove (cut) the platic above the printhead!! I used a solder, it took much time and the smell was awful... But it worked. You have to remove two pieces of plastic "plate", one "above" the printhead and one "below" (below = towards yourself). Mind the "threads" that come out of the plastic when you melt it, so they don't get into the printer / printhead. (If you choose to use dremel, mind the dust!!!)
2. Take out the print cartriges
3. Take out the printhead
4. Below the printhead there is a "drawer". The printhead moves left-right, the "drawer" moves forward-backwards ("into" the printer). They are stuck together!!! Gently move the printhead, and try to figure out where these two parts are stuck together. I found two locations. With simple screwdriver, push the notches of the drawer, to release it, and then it moves "into the printer".
5. Move the printhead (left-wards) to the middle. Position the drawer so that it doesn't obstruct the printhead's movement.
6. Plug it in, and pray 🙂 I printed 200 pages, it's still OK, but I think that if it happenned once, it can happen again. Yet, so far so good.
Good luck!!

Eric
6500_a.jpg

6500_c.jpg

HP Recommended

Carriage is stuck in right position, under the docking cover, so I don't understand how to do this step , #7, in instructions below; and there is no access through the paper output tray.  Really appreciate advice here.

"Reach inside the product through the cartridge access door, and then manually move the carriage. You might have to reach through the paper output tray to access the carriage.
  • If the carriage is stuck on the right side of the product , move the carriage to the left side of the product."
HP Recommended

Eric's solution is effective, but for those of you who think his method is a little crude, there is a more elegant way to access the print mechanism.  Go to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjqHFN-da8M and view the video showing how to remove the cover that gives you access to the print heads.  Of course, there is no guarantee that your problem is caused by the same problem Eric had, because in researching this "Print head stuck in right position" I found that there had been numerous causes, from broken pulleys, to parts that had fallen off, to a spring that had come off its hook.  But by being able to take the printer apart, as this video shows how to do, you might be better able to ascertain the real problem.

HP Recommended

I've had this printer for about three years.  Once I coaxed the carriage out of its jammed position I saw about a tablespoon worth of ink sludge jamming the works.  I removed this sludge and it seemed to progress.  Further error report occurred ((0x061011be9) at which point I reset the machine as per some other instructions online (power on, pull plug, wait 20sec, hold # + 6 then replug, release buttons on initialization).

Needed:

1 flashlight

1 thin screwdriver (or other sludge removing implement)

1 table spoon

16 parts patience

I am still getting the error code after reset, but it seems to print for me, which is all I need.  As the machine is out of warranty  I believe I will not be contacting HP for service.

Good luck to all...

HP Recommended
Why can't I access the answers to the this same problem posted on this site many times?
HP Recommended

Please tag "dnrtq" and "rtdmgw" to the official response.

rtdmgw of course stands for Read The Dumb Manual Gone Wrong

dnrt of course stands for Did Not Read The Question

HP Recommended

Trying to fix daughters 6500, no repair experience but mechanically inclined.

Carriage stuck in the right side position.

Took off cover instead of cutting, removed cartridges and printhead.

Still can't move carriage far, only about 1/2".  You spoke of a drawer and using screwdriver to move drawer. Not having luck locating notches or moving drawer.  The drawer appears to stop movement of carriage.  Also, can I mover carriage without cartridges installed.

Hope I'm clear

THANKS

HP Recommended

I realize this is a very old post, but did you ever find the answer to your problem?  I ma experiencing the very same thing.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.