officejet pro 8500 adf pick problem? (626 Views)
Student
skeeds
Message 1 of 3 (626 Views)

officejet pro 8500 adf pick problem?

My Automatic Document Feeder (ADF) does not pick up the documents placed in the tray for copying. I have followed all of the available help instructions, i.e.: update firmware, clean rollers & separator pad, power down & restart. Nothing has worked. 

the ADF began failing some time ago and I do not recall any simutaneous printer issues.

Anyway, if anyone has encountered this and can suggest a solution, I would sure appreciate the input.  Thanks!

Officejet Pro 8500 Wireless, Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit

John

Student
amcan61
Message 2 of 3 (527 Views)

Re: officejet pro 8500 adf pick problem?

I have owned the complete line of 7500 series printers, and the common problem with them have been the adf (automatic document feeder) breaking.  The part is actually quite small, and in my opinion, rather cheap and a design flaw for such a critical piece.

The printer prints fine, but it will not read in multiple pages for faxes or scanning.  Single pages on the glass work fine.

Student
AndrewDebney
Message 3 of 3 (498 Views)

Re: officejet pro 8500 adf pick problem?

I may have found the problem.

If the ADF cover is lifted up out of the way, at the back left of the main lid (under the ADF cover) there is the roller which drives the ADF mechanism.

Next to the roller is a 2 roller arm which rotates clockwise or anti-clockwise depending on which way the main roller turns. Viewed from the front of the device, when scanning is activated the main roller turn clockwise and so the 2 roller arm is raised. Once this 2 roller arm get to the top it sounds like it activates a micro switch which then makes the ADF mechanism turn which drops the feed roller and it all works.

The 2 roller arm appears to just turn on the shaft of the main roller, and I assume that it has got dirty and so is not moving round the shaft and so activating the switch which activates the ADF mechanism.

If that 2 roller arm is manually rotated upwards until there is a click it scans next time, but for that time only as it's resting place of the 2 roller arm is down not up.

So I've tries a little WD40 around the shafts to loosen it up (remove dirt & dust?) and so far it has helped.

So, hardware (design?) issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation