Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I got a new OfficeJet Pro 8600 a couple of weeks ago and it has worked well until today, when I tried to copy something. I can still print from my pc and scan without problems, but when I try to copy a document (whether I load it into the document feeder or lay it on the scanner) the page comes out covered in vertical black lines of various sizes. It seems like it is not the ink or the scanner since I can print from my pc and scan just fine.

Please help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
Is this unit plugged into a direct wall outlet? If not, then try plugging the unit into a direct wall outlet.

The Officejet Pro 8600 has a built in surge protector and doubling this feature up can cause some issues.

As well, try hard resetting the printer:
* Unplug unit while the printer is turned on
* Unplug the other end of the power cable from the direct wall outlet
* Wait 30 seconds
* Plug unit back up

Let me know if this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.

View solution in original post

153 REPLIES 153
HP Recommended
I forgot to add that I have used the copy feature on the printer before (the most recent time was a couple of days ago) and had no problems until now.
HP Recommended
I just tried making a copy in color (it was a b&w document though) and it was perfect. So I'm only having issues when I try to copy in black....
HP Recommended
Is this unit plugged into a direct wall outlet? If not, then try plugging the unit into a direct wall outlet.

The Officejet Pro 8600 has a built in surge protector and doubling this feature up can cause some issues.

As well, try hard resetting the printer:
* Unplug unit while the printer is turned on
* Unplug the other end of the power cable from the direct wall outlet
* Wait 30 seconds
* Plug unit back up

Let me know if this helps.
-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

Thank you! That did work. It was plugged in to a power strip and I unplugged it, waited 30 seconds and plugged it back in to a wall outlet. Problem solved!

HP Recommended

UPDATE:  I have followed all of the suggested steps to try and resolve this issue and here is what I have fund:

1.  The black line down the side of a printed page ONLY appears when I try to COPY or SCAN while feeding through the ADF.

2. The problem does not change if I select BLACK only or COLOR copy or scan ( line still apears)

3. Line DOES NOT appear if I put a sheet on the scan glass and try to copy or scan (color option not an issue

I have checked, cleaned and recleaned everything that is possible via the information provide from these forums based on other experiencing streaks of lines on their output.  No Change..

I have disconnected the printer from all network and fax cables and tried the scan or copy with just power to the device, NO CHANGE.

It appears that the ADF is causing the line to be generated but I can not find any additional information or suggestions on how to remedy this issue. 

What does HP have to say on this issue?  Why can't this be resolved permanently?  I need to get this resolved as the copies and scans that I do are required for historical purpose and I need CLEAN documents generated.

HELP...HELP...HELP...

I have the same problem and this does not solve the issue... What can I do? the printer is only 4 months old and used very sparingly but this is ridiculous

HP Recommended

All, here is another update....

The problem has been resolved based on the solution provided above but it required that the device be left unplugged for as long as 5 minutes before it fully reset the firmware or scanner alignment.  I was on the phone with HP support when I was able to verify it resolved. 

This is definately a problem that required HP engineering to evaluate and provide a permanent firmware update, but until that happens, know that iat least in my case it took 5 minutes of disconnected power to resolve, not 30 seconds or 2 minutes, which was the next amount of time I waited. 

HP Recommended

Had the same issue eventually with both copying and scanning (issue started with copying).  Printing from PC was just fine.  The 5 minute solution worked perfectly, fixed the vertical lines and faint text.

HP Recommended

This did not help.  We had the single vertical line on all scans/copies using document feeder with our 8500.  Thought it was scratched, so bought a new 8600 recently.  Same exact problem with the 8600.  Have tried every suggestion concerning clearing static buildup.  Ready to throw both HP printers in the trash and buy an Epson or Canon.  I have 2 40-page documents I need to scan and faced with manually scanning page  by page.  Help.

HP Recommended

Did you get this fixed?  We had the problem on our 8500,  So bought a new 8600.  Same problem.  All suggestions for unplugging, etc. have failed.  What have you discovered?  I'm faced with manually scanning 80 pages of documents today. 

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.