Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

I'm having the same issue. I unplugged the printer for over 5 minutes and it didn't work. Any other ideas. Thanks

HP Recommended

I responded with my final results the other day but I don't see it in the forum. The cure for me .... A flashlight ... Seriously, Kudos for that hot tip guys.

A dirty little speck was hiding from my naked eye on the narrow glass on the left side.

Use a flash light to see what your cleaning effort might have missed. It must be extremely sensitive if a tiny  little speck like that can wreak that kind of havoc on our printing results.

Good luck.

HP Recommended

@tjcoleman wrote:

I'm having the same issue. I unplugged the printer for over 5 minutes and it didn't work. Any other ideas. Thanks

Does this occur only when you copy or scan from the document feeder?  Try making a copy from the flatbed glass.  If this works then the issue is a smudge or spot on the thin (about 1" wide) glass on the left side that is used for the ADF.  Clean this glass to resolve the issue as shown in solution three, figure six in the document here.  Even a tiny spec in this area can cause a black line on the print when using the ADF.  

As mentioned above using a strong flashlight held parallel to the glass may highlight the spec.  I would suggest holding the flashlight against the "HP Photosmart" label on the front of the printerwith the upper half of the light illuminating the glass.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button 

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

Hello, first I would like to apologize for my bad English. I'm from Brazil and I'm using google translator to write this text.

Also had the same problem with the black stripes on my 8600. I did all the procedures listed here in the forum and still the problem persisted.
In the end I decided to open part of the scanner to try to clean the glass on the inside. When I opened I realized I had a strip of white paper, near the largest glass, that was out of position. I imagine that this paper helps the scanner to make the white balance adjusts. I put a strip of paper in the correct position, closed the scanner, turned on the machine and the copy returned to normal, clean and without the black stripes.

HP Recommended
I've had the same problem and have worked with HP and can't get it fixed. Faxing and scanning creates vertical bars. Dirty glass can't explain unplugging and plugging back in will temporarily fix the issue. There is something wrong with these machines and there needs to be a solution. So many post on this discussion forum with the exact same issue and the resolution is to always clean the glass, no powerstrip, and unplug the machine and plug it back in. Issue is gone for some random length of time but then comes back. Could be 1 day or could be 1 month. HP fix this!
HP Recommended
I agree Brett 913. I've done all of the above and the problem has come back. Now I 'm getting squeaking like something needs to be oiled. I agree. HP fix these machines.
HP Recommended

Please be aware that this forum is a peer to peer support forum, it is not a direct link to HP support.  If you want HP to fix this you will need to Contact HP.  

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

If my answer was helpful please click "Yes" to the "Was this post helpful" question.

HP Recommended

I understand this is a peer to peer support but some HP experts hone in on these forums, and that was put out there to let them know if they hone in, that what we've been told is not solving the problem.  And there are others that are having thesee problems and nothing is done.

HP Recommended

@gigi_169 wrote:

I understand this is a peer to peer support but some HP experts hone in on these forums, and that was put out there to let them know if they hone in, that what we've been told is not solving the problem.  And there are others that are having these problems and nothing is done.

There are various scanning issues.  The most common one I have seen is the single black line due to a spec on the ADF glass.  This is resolved by cleaning the spec - sometimes it takes several attempts because the spec can be very small but still show up.

The other case seems to be related to the initialization of the scanner unit, sometimes resolved by unplugging and replugging the unit.  

If you have issues scanning and the standard troubleshooting steps do not resolve the issue I suggest you contact HP Support.  If in the US or Canada call 1-800-HPINVENt, elsewhere see the contact information here.

Bob Headrick,  HP Expert

HP Recommended

Can I please get the magic receipe to get rid of the lines when making copies.  Did everything that was posted and still have the lines.  I see that you have sent some private messages and then the person comes back and post that it works.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.