Question

Student
seadogford
Message 1 of 41 (11,920 Views)

photosmart c310 stuck initializing

When I turn on the HP Photosmart C310 series [5E4126] it start to initialize and never moves on. It is stuck initializing. Operating system is a Mac OS  X version 10.7.3  No changes have been made. Any ideas?

thanks

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 2 of 41 (11,911 Views)

Re: photosmart c310 stuck initializing

Hello seadogford

Have you tried resetting the printer? Please try the Reset article and take care to follow the order in the instructions.

You said nothing has changed recently? When did you first notice the problem? Were you turning on your printer or did you notice your printer was off?

Of course if you can think of anything else please include that as well.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

When a solution is found please mark the post that solves your issue.
Honor Student
Tasha45
Message 3 of 41 (11,790 Views)

Im having the same problem. I was able to rest it and it came back on. I reset everything back to factory settings. I was able to print a test page. Two minutes after tthat it went back to initializing. Help please
Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 4 of 41 (11,777 Views)

Hello Tasha45

Try performing the same reset but with the cartridges removed. It may be a hardware issue and you may need to have the printer serviced.

Don't forgot to say thanks by giving "Kudos" to those that help solve your problems.

Honor Student
cmbojc
Message 5 of 41 (11,728 Views)

The reset fix doesn't work with or without the cartridges in.  It started for me yesterday.  I printed out a job application, then after the touch screen said there was an update available.  So thinking that an update may be a good thing since the HP Solution Center is always giving me trouble.  I went ahead and let it update, after that: endless "Initializing..." 

Yesterday I tried unplugging the back of it, and plugging it back in.  After that the screen went blank and it wouldn't turn on. 

I left soon after that and came back today, and it was somehow on again, but stuck in the endless "Initializing..."  cycle once again.  So I just tried the reset instructions recommended on this thread without the cartridges in it, and nothing dead again and won't turn on.  

I don't think it is a hardware issue, because yesterday I scanned something then printed something, and it was fine.  It wasn't until I did the update that it started the endless "Initializing..." bug.  But then again it isn't even turning on now so who knows?

Does anyone know if there is some way to reset the firmware without it turning on?

If anyone has solved this please help.  I have seen a lot of people around the internet with this same issue, but no working solutions.

Honor Student
cmbojc
Message 6 of 41 (11,727 Views)

Update, it is turning on now, but still stuck on the endless "Initializing...".  It must be an issue with the update yesterday this is really lame.

Regents Professor
Travis_C
Message 7 of 41 (11,717 Views)

Hello cmbojc

Based on what you have described it would probably be best to contact HP support.

HP Phone Support

Honor Student
MarkH_PNNL
Message 8 of 41 (11,683 Views)

I tried to download the update that the printer says is available from HP but it just seems to hang endlessly with Initializing and then the power button goes dead if you end up unplugging the printer because nothing seems to be functional on the touch screen and you can't affect the printer via a PC either.

It was printing fine but I happened to be looking at setup trying to see it would help explain how to allow another PC on my wireless network to send printouts to it.  So I saw the update and tried to update the printer. 

I found that unplugging the printer from the back of the printer and the wall for an HOUR seems to allow it to come back on with full functionality.  The solution seems to have worked twice now that the initializing loop has been stumbled into.  Unplugging for shorter periods might get the touch screen to come back to life but it still is stuck in "initializing".  But if you unplug it for an hour it seems to clear everything out.  I KNOW it makes NO sense but through trial and error that seems to work for me. 

Honor Student
MarkH_PNNL
Message 9 of 41 (11,682 Views)

Suggest you leave it unplugged for at least an hour. Seems dumb as hell but seems to work for me. I tried different times and the hour time has worked twice for me. The printer comes back to complete functionality? I've named mine Sybil!
Student
nohp1
Message 10 of 41 (11,614 Views)

That is going to work a few more times and it will never come back. Been there and done it.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation