Question

Honor Student
sososo22
Message 1 of 6 (194 Views)

photosmart premium 310 print issues

[ Edited ]

The printer has worked flawlessly for a couple of years, and is hooked up wirelessly.  I replaced my pc and moved from vista to 7.

It was disconnected for about a month before I could get around to setting the printer up on my wireless network, but yesterday I was able to get it to respond to print commands from the computer.

However, the printer feeds out sheets that have either no print or the faintest print that looks almost like a shadow.  But when printing the Printer Status Report or Print Quality Diagnostic Page, or Clean Printheads there are only some bold magenta lines on the paper.

When checking the Estimate Ink Level it showed a triangle with an exclamation mark, and the ink was low in the black xl564 cartridge. I replaced the cartridge and after restarting/unplugging the printer it now reads the black as full. The other ink cartridges show about 75%.

I have reinstalled the printer on the computer, updated the software and restarted the computer, printer (including unplugging) and the wireless router.

I have followed the HP troubleshooting procedures, but I still cannot print from a word document or even print reports from the printer's screen.

I would appreciate any help!

Provost
Bob_Headrick
Message 2 of 6 (169 Views)

Re: photosmart premium 310 print issues

If the power was removed before the printheads had a chance to park properly the printheads could be dried out.  The procedure in this post may recover proper printing.

Bob Headrick, Microsoft MVP Windows Expert - Consumer,  HP Expert

I am not an employee of Microsoft or HP, I am a volunteer posting here on my own time.

If your problem is solved please click the "Accept as Solution" button -------------------v

If my answer was helpful please click the "Thumbs Up" to say "Thank You"--V

Regents Professor
jason_h
Message 3 of 6 (168 Views)

How does the Print Quality report look after changing the black cartridge out?

Did you run 3 levels of the printhead cleaning?

There is also a document with steps to help troubleshoot print quality issues located here.

If you follow all the steps and the problem continues, then the next step is going to be looking into replacing the printhead.  If the printer is warranty, then I would advise contacting HP Tech Support about this printer.

If the printer is out of warranty, then one has a couple of options.

* One can purchase the printhead through the HP Parts Store using the part number CN642a.

* One can purchase a replacement printer.

* One can try the workaround solution, that works for some, in the thread located here.

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
Grad Student
mc-713
Message 4 of 6 (164 Views)

Re: print issues

The first thing to do is get the printer printing properly from stand-alone mode. If you print the Print Diagnostics page now that you've replaced the black ink, how does it look? If you still have problems you can try some of the steps in this document to help you get a better print. Once a print quality page looks good, then try printing a windows driver test page and try to identify connectivity issues.

I am an employee of Hewlett Packard.

- - Please mark Accept As Solution if it solves your problem so others can more easily find the answer - -
- - Please click the Kudos star if you would like to say thanks - -
Honor Student
sososo22
Message 5 of 6 (160 Views)

I followed the procedure you recommended to remove and soak the printhead.  I then replaced my cartridges with new ones.

I ran clean cartridges 6-7 times and get some pretty good squares of colors across the top of the page, but no black ones.

Tried running align print heads but I only get blue print and a message that says "alignment failed".

Earlier, when I tried to align print heads from the computer (instead of on the printer screen) prior to cleaning them I got a message saying "computer is unable to establish 2-way communication with the printer"

Making progress but I could still use a little more help, if possible.

Thanks

Honor Student
sososo22
Message 6 of 6 (155 Views)

my 310 does not have any print head cleaning options, only cartridge cleaning.

I have followed some hp guides on print quality issues but will follow your link next.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation