Question

Honor Student
pegasuss
Message 1 of 4 (1,810 Views)

print spooler error

I am running Windows 7 (64bit). I just installed the HP ePrint & Share software. My printer is the HP PSC 1510xi all in one. Since loading the HP software my printer will not print and I get a print spooler error message although when I run the HP Solutions Center it says that my printer is working. I can scan but whenever I and try to select the printer settings in the settings window of HPS it does not work. Scan and copy do. Any help??

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 4 (1,805 Views)

Re: print spooler error

Hi,

Please check Task Manager to see is it there or not, it should be up and running like this:

spooler.PNG

If it wasn't there, try this:

• Click Start,
  • Type services.msc in the Search box and press Enter,
  • Locate Print spooler on the list, right click and start it, keep it start automatically.

Regards.

Note: You need Admin rights to perform this work.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
pegasuss
Message 3 of 4 (1,800 Views)

Thanks BH but it didn't work. I was able to start the print spooler as you said but as soon as I try to access the printer the spooler stops. A look at the control panel under devices and printers does not show my printer and as soon as I try and add the printer I get the spooler error again. Which of course will not let me do anything with printers until the spooler is running. Kind of a catch 22.

Teacher
muj851
Message 4 of 4 (1,776 Views)

Hi,

Try downloading PDU(Print Diagnostic Utility) from hp.com and run. This utility will help in diagnosing the software related issue.

Here are few things which you can also try and see if this helps
a) Delete all unwanted printers from your computer.

b) Make sure all printers are installed with proper drivers.

If you think print spooler is not responding to your print commands and print is not happening when printer is fine (No paper jam or any error indications on printer hardware).These methods will help to clear the pending print jobs (print queue).

Go to C -> Windows -> System32 -> Spool -> Printers and delete all files in side this folder. This is the location printers spool documents before sending to printers. Once you delete these files, print queue will be cleared. 

spooler.png

If you notice print spooler service in windows 7, XP or Windows Vista is stopping automatically all the time and disturbing your printing, then follow the steps.

1)     Go to Control Panel->Administrative tool-> Services->, Double click Print Spooler service and go to    Recovery tab. Here we can set what that service should do when it fails.

Select ‘Restart the Service’ in Subsequent Failures field. So, it will try restarting print spooler service whenever it fails.

Print spooler.jpg

But, from system administrator’s side, it’s not recommended. That’s why by default it set to ‘Take No Action’. It will be an additional load to system to restart the service all the time whenever it fails, and may cause other system issues also.

If a service fails very frequently, better to find the reason and fix it. let’s see how we can fix this.

First thing you need to look at is the list of dependencies of Print Spooler service

1) Got to Command Prompt
Windows XP: press “Win” + “R” buttons and type “cmd” and press “Enter”

Windows Vista/7: click “Start” in search field type “cmd” without quotes and wait until you will see black cmd icon. Right-click on it and choose “Run as Administrator”

use this special command: “sc qc spooler”  and press “Enter”

Spooler 2.jpg

As you see there are two services under “DEPENDENCIES”:

• RPCSS – Remote Procedure Call (usually always working)
  • http – http Service (rarely has any problems)

But in your case you might see additional service (for example: LexBce – Lexmark printers service that usually cause problems of such a kind). You need to remove this service from dependencies list using one of the rest two methods of checking and editing dependencies:

2) Go to the Windows Registry Editor (press “Win” + “R” buttons and type “regedit” without quotes)

In Registry Editor locate Spooler key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\Spooler) and find “DependOnService” parameter.

Spooler 3.png

Double-click on it and in the list remove third party service (any service other than RPCSS and Http).

Regedit.jpg

3) To check if editing the registry brought the result - go to Services by pressing “Win” + “R” buttons and typing “services.msc” command without quotes. Locate Print Spooler service and double-click on it. Go to Dependencies tab and see what services are listed there.

If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as, as Accepted Solution

++++Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post++++

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation