Question

Student
davebelcher
Message 1 of 25 (22,656 Views)

printer offline

i had tried everything i understand but still cannot get my printer to work from the PC. Keeps telling me printer offline but printer screen shows correct IP address and connected??

PLEASE HELP

David Belcher

ps. will be away from my pc for about 1.5hrs

Professor
Daniel_L
Message 2 of 25 (22,647 Views)

Re: printer offline

Hello! Could you please provide more information regarding the problem you experiencing, such as which product you are using? Any additional information such as the operating system of your computer will be helpful in resolving your issue. Thanks!

Help the community by marking this post as a solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name! It would mean a great deal. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 3 of 25 (22,638 Views)

Hello dave,

Try the below steps to check if the PC is communicating to Printer over network.

1. Obtain the IP of the printer from the printer . For eg., 192.168.1.13
  2. Open the Browser  -  IE or Firefox or Chrome.
  3. Key in the IP of the printer in Brower's Address bar
  4. If the Printer info page shows up then the PC is communicating to the Printer, else there is no communication . 

I'd also like to know the Printer model, Operating System of the PC.

You may also try using the Print Diagnostic Utility , click here  -- PDU to download and run. Let me know the result of it.

Regards,

Jabzi

Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
          Although I work for HP my posts and replies are my own.
         Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Honor Student
offlineoutrage
Message 4 of 25 (22,618 Views)

I'm having the same problem. I logged into the website that shows my printer and actually printed a test page, which worked fine. The problem is that I can't print some word documents  and it still shows as offline. I don't know about the download thing. I tried searching the internet but it's very confusing. I've never had this happen before, although when I downloaded the drivers I noticed there wasn't one that matched exactly my printer and then it only printed photo size paper until I figured out how to change that.

I've restarted both laptop and printer multiple times. No luck. It's an HP Photosmart Premium C410a. HELP!

Thanks,

J

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 5 of 25 (22,598 Views)

Hello,

Please try the below step to get the printer ONLINE .

• Click on START > Device and Printer .
  • Right Click on the Printer HP Photosmart Premium C410a . A pop-up menus shows up.
  • Click on "Use Printer Online".

Now try printing a document, if it fails to print then perform the below mentioned steps

You may also try using the Print Diagnostic Utility , click here  -- PDU to download and run. Let me know the result of it.

Regards,

Jabzi.

Help the community by marking this post as a Solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name!

Regards,
Jabzi

Honor Student
offlineoutrage
Message 6 of 25 (22,587 Views)

Hi,

The first suggestion didn't work because the menu item you mentioned wasn't available. I can't post a screen shot but it wasn't there.

I'm trying the 2nd suggestion...I downloaded the diagnostic utility tool. Apparently my printer is actually listed twice with slightly different names. One is installed, the other not, so I'm trying to download drivers on the uninstalled one. The other one has been working so I don't know what caused this but I'm trying it. When I initially downloaded the drivers, I didn't find the exact match although I was still able to print. Ugh, these issues mystify me but as long as it works. There were also many options to choose from...I selected the first one, "Basic Drivers" but I have no idea if that's right.

I'm going to restart and see...

Honor Student
offlineoutrage
Message 7 of 25 (22,585 Views)

This seems to have worked! I did have to make the "new" printer the default printer, but then it printed. I'm not sure what the other printer is but I guess I can go back and forth if necessary. This stuff just baffles me. But thank you for your help!!!

Distinguished Professor
jabzi
Message 8 of 25 (22,581 Views)

Hello offlineoutrage ,

Congrats!!!..

Regards,           

Jabzi   

Help the community by marking this post as a Solution if it solved your issue!.

If my post helped you in any way, please click the blue KUDOS star under my name!

Regards,
Jabzi

Honor Student
Gallienus
Message 9 of 25 (20,964 Views)

It really helped, I saw that was was able to communicate with my printer as I manually set IP 192.168.0.14 I went to the printer page. Then I saw that Windows-7 was using port 192.168.0.10 for some strange reason. When I changed it to 14, it worked!
Student
scoose5
Message 10 of 25 (19,859 Views)

My printer is not working I can put in a card and print from the printer, but for some reason it is not printing from the computer.  Is it suppose be offline in order to print.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation