Question

Student
monofoilman
Message 1 of 3 (252 Views)

psc1200 printer in Windows 7 & 8

New HP computer running Windows 8 recognizes my old psc1200 printer but will not allow printing on legal size paper.  The margin settings for the bottom on portrait and the right on landscape are fixed at 3.478" resulting in any legal print job being cut off.  I've tried updating the driver with windows update, changing the margins manually, running programs under compatibility with older OS versions,  installing the software that came with the printer, trying to create a custom paper size, and spending way too much time on the phone with HP and Microsoft.  Microsoft says it's an HP driver issue and HP says the printer is too old and there's nothing they can do.  Anyone else some across this problem and found a fix or have any other suggestions?  I hate to abandon a perfectly good printer that works fine under XP because of a stupid driver isssue. 

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 3 (227 Views)

Re: psc1200 printer in Windows 7 & 8

Sounds like you are having an issue with your margins. That might be corrected by changing the driver you are using. Here is a method to do that and if you cannot find the printers mentioned or those do not work, try the Deskjet 9800. 

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Software-Drivers-e-g-Windows-8/How-to-Assign-Alterna...

Try that and let me know how it goes! 

If you think I am being helpful, a great way to show your thanks is by clicking the star below my user name on each post to give me kudos, a quick way of saying thanks on the forum. 

Have a great day! 
CuF Student
Student
CuF
Message 3 of 3 (137 Views)

Re: psc1200 printer in Windows 7 & 8

[ Edited ]

Okay, I've lost days on this when it would have been easier to simply buy a new (non-HP) printer.

Instead I created a little fix and here is me sharing.

Tested on Win7, should work on Vista and Win8, but I'm not set up to test it.

-=Custom PSC 1200 Series All-in-One Drivers for Win7 x64=-
--by Dr. M--

These are just PSC 1300 drivers edited to be recognized as 1200 series drivers.
This is preferable to just installing the 1300 drivers.  This method prevents Windows from complaining the printer isn't installed and other computers on your network will be able to share.

Improvements:

- Legal sized printing now works correctly.
- New print quality, 300dpi Fast Normal, added between 300dpi Fast Draft and 600dpi Normal.
- Best quality setting now 600dpi with PhotoREt.

Issues Still Present:

- Fast Draft quality will still misalign consecutive lines.  Use Fast Normal unless you really need the speed.
- Maximum dpi 4800x1200-optimized dpi quality, which is identical to the old Best setting, still produces a mis-aligned image.  This issue is present in all HP LIDIL drivers.  Aligning the cartridges does not appear to help.
- Best quality printings above a certain size will freeze the printer.  Turn off the printer and cancel the job from the spool.  I haven't found a fix for this.

Driver fix on MediaFire

Hope this helps you guys.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation