Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp z3200ps printer
Mac OS X 10.9 Mavericks

NEW:  we realized the mystery string comes from the frayed/split belt -- thus we ordered in the best one we can (the US made one with Kevlar from LDS)  

Does anyone know a qualified repair person in the San Francisco Area area?   

Problem:  Ink splatter randomly splaying on output

(See Attached images showing samples of the problem below)

This link is the closest one to the actual problem we have had I have found in my search: 

Belt fail causing ink splatter:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=80811.0

I tried to resolve this through the following thus far - the problem has gotten better from the initial problem.

It first presented splatting the ink across the output  - which we noticed after about 8 prints  - then it failed completely with the 21:13 error, and would not reboot. which followed an 86:01 error

1. discovered and remove a 1/4" fragment that has now turned out to the belt.  This blocked the service panel leading to a 21:13 code error;  that was resolved through cleaning.  Initially - we were not able to get the system to reboot util the blockage was removed
  2. Per above reliazed that the we will need to get the belt replaced
  3. After removal we were able to reboot the system
  4. However, the printer continued to randomly deposit PK ink across the output.  
  5. The inside, on the right side of the track especially there was a fair amount of ink in various places; and dust, we vacuumed and cleared all of this out

6. PK cartridge  replaced appears to have gone bad ( its nipple showed leakage) The replacement PK was from the same twin pack as the one that we think failed - and we are ordering in a fresh one as back up
  7. Replaced PK and MK print heads, cleaning inside cavity
  8. Diagnostic page does not show any problem with print heads  - PK shows lifetime fire of 1836ml, the most of any of the heads but we have replaced it a while back already - re swapped it out anyway

The mystery string:

In cleaning and replacing the heads - we also found a mystery string, that is free on the right side and stuck behind the carriage - ink soiled - and wondering if that may be contributory or the source of the problem

We are concerned that the problem could also be the tube assembly.  is that plausible? 

Has anyone out there had this #fail event?  

I am thinking of  loading some cheap paper and running 25' or so to see if the problem resolves the residual, if in fact we resolved it via the print heads. 

I have been searching through the service manual and thus far have not found anything about this type of error.

I have found information about the “Service Utilities Sub menu" which appears to access a deeper level of tests, and options for cleaning - but am uncertain which or those procedures may be advisable

Any advise would be sincerely appreciated - time critical

thank you in advance!

_______

reference

download the full servicew manual: http://www.lpscomputer.com/ec/Designjet_Z2100_Z3100_Z3200_service_manual.pdf

______

good link:  http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?action=printpage;topic=91963.0

hp-ink-splatter-1-S.jpg

Ink splatter detail

Mystery String

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.