Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
HP Recommended
HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477
Microsoft Windows Server 2008 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have tried to install the software for HP Color LaserJet Pro MFP M477fdn on a server with Windows Server 2012 R2.

The printer is found in the network and the installation starts.

Then it stops after a minute with just the message ERROR.

The software is downloaded from HP and I have now tried this four times.

Is it not possible to install the printer on a server? Or what?

/Bengt
a very angry and irritated customer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Problem solved  - or abandoned.
I gave up on the server, and installed the software on a Windows 7 computer in the network. Without any problem.

But still - why couldn't I install the software on the server?

Regards / Bengt

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

You've listed your operating system as Windows Server 2008, and then in the body of your message you say you are installing it on a machine with Windows Server 2012.   Are you 100% certain you are installing the right drivers for your operating system?

Windows Server 2012 is here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL63876/t2-153744-1/HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477_PCL6_Print_Dr...

Windows Server 2008 is here:

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software13/COL58178/t2-139792-5/HP_Color_LJ_Pro_MFP_M477-PCL6_Print_Dr...

HP Recommended

Thanks for your answer.

It say Windows 2008 because that was the closest alterantive in drop-down list.

The first two times I tried to install the driver I used the CD that came with printer.

Then I used the 123.hp.com website. The correct printer was detected and software was downloaded.

Then I used the downloaded version twice.

Same result: ERROR.

I assumed that the software would regognize the OS and warn me if it wasn't correct.

But I will try the link for 2012 that you posted.

Regards

Bengt

HP Recommended

Hello again,

The file you linked to says _no installer_ and there is no setup-file or other executables.

How do I handle it?

Regards / Bengt

HP Recommended

Problem solved  - or abandoned.
I gave up on the server, and installed the software on a Windows 7 computer in the network. Without any problem.

But still - why couldn't I install the software on the server?

Regards / Bengt

HP Recommended

To install where there is no installer but only the driver (as, for example, with Windows Server 2012):

Turn on the printer.

Run the downloaded file.

Make a note of the folder location to which the files are extracted.

Go to Control Panel, and then select Printers.

Click Add a printer.

Answer the questions in the Add Printer Wizard until you reach the screen that shows the printer manufacturer list.

Click Have Disk.

Browse to the folder location you noted earlier

Select the appropriate INF file

Click Open, and then click OK.

Select the appropriate printer.

Follow the remaining on-screen instructions to complete the printer installation.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.