Question

Top Student
sgfis
Message 1 of 8 (1,151 Views)
Accepted Solution

7520 cord connected to correct port failed

Hi. Today I installed my new hp 7520 and I get a failed message

(The phone cord is connected to the port labled "2-ext" on the back of your hp device, when running the fax test.

I have window xp, using the cord hp sent with printer and it is plugged into the correct port. Can you help? Thanks.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 2 of 8 (1,138 Views)

Try to perform a HARD RESET on the printer. Unplug the power cord from the back and from the wall. Leave it out for 30 seconds, and plug it back in. Before you plug the cable for the LINE 1 in back of the fax, wait, and see if you get a message.

If you have another cord, try to exchange it to see if you get that message.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Top Student
sgfis
Message 3 of 8 (1,136 Views)

Re: 7520 cord connected to correct port failed

Hi. Thanks for your quick reply. I tried the hard reset and no luck I tried a different cord no luck.  The different cord is the same cord I used with my last hp device.  I had no problem with the fax on the last machine. I had someone from the telecommunications department check the line and it does work. I don't know much about phone lines/cords, but the old cord is a 4 wire that has a converter to a two wire does this have something to do with it?  I do get a fax connected to active telephone wall jack, but it still fails on the correct port.  Any other ideas? Thanks.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 4 of 8 (1,132 Views)

The converter may be an issue. If you have 2-wire cord, try that to see if changes occur. Does the message occur, when NO PHONE LINE is plugged into neither port?

I just noticed in your first post, you said "the phone cord is connected to the port labeled 2-ext". The main phone line should go from the wall outlet, directly into LINE 1 of the printer. In EXT 2, it should be the line going straight to the actual telephone.

Is this the way you have it plugged up?
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Top Student
sgfis
Message 5 of 8 (1,125 Views)

Re: 7520 cord connected to correct port failed

The converter may be an issue. If you have 2-wire cord, try that to see if changes occur. Used the 2 wired cord that came with the machine, got the same error.

Does the message occur, when NO PHONE LINE is plugged into neither port? When no phone line is plugged in the report says "an active phone line was not detected" report doesn't go a test on the port.

I just noticed in your first post, you said "the phone cord is connected to the port labeled 2-ext". The main phone line should go from the wall outlet, directly into LINE 1 of the printer. In EXT 2, it should be the line going straight to the actual telephone. This is a fax only line and I only used Line 1 port.  Ext 2 will not be used.

Is this the way you have it plugged up? Yes, the phone cord is plugged from the wall to "1-line" port.  I still get an error saying Phone Cord Connected to correct port on fax fail.  The phone cord is connected to the port labeled "2ext" on the back of the device.

Basically it says that I have something in the port labled 2 ext when I don't.  Any other thoughts?

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 6 of 8 (1,121 Views)

This seems to be a hardware issue with the printer itself...

This seems to be a hardware issue with the printer itself. If you are getting the messaege and you don't have ANYTHING plugged into the LINES, it is something defected inside the printer ports. 

You may have to contact HP Support (1800-474-6836).

Student
KellyMcDonald6
Message 7 of 8 (1,081 Views)

Re: This seems to be a hardware issue with the printer itself...

I just bought my HP Photosmart 7520 and I'm having the exact same issue. I plugged the phone cord that came with the printer into Port 1 and the fax setup report says the phone cord is connect to the port 2-EXT, but it's not. I tried a different cord. I tried unplugging the power and phone cords, waiting 2 minutes, and re-plugged. I did the fax setup again, and in the Fax Test Report it still says "The phone cord is connected to the port labeled "2-EXT" on the back of your HP device." But I have it plugged into "1-Line".
Top Student
sgfis
Message 8 of 8 (1,068 Views)

Re: This seems to be a hardware issue with the printer itself...

HI, Try seeing if you can fax something, even though you got the error message.  I ended up getting another machine and still had the same error message.  I ended up calling HP customer service and we tried faxing and the machine worked fine.

Not sure why the error message comes up and the machine still works.  Good Luck.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation