Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I too tried the lenghty services fix at the end of this post. No dice.

I found that when I left it alone for to long it would be off or if I shutdown it would be automatically off. 

Figured it must be a setting somewhere but of course no one has found it until i tried the dumb $%^*^ "power saver setting"

Thats right, I got mine to work by turning off the power saving settings. Oddly enough this was only a problem with Win7 pro 64 bit and not XP or Win 7 32 bit embedded.

From the screen on the front of the printer

Setup menu > Preferences > Energy Save Mode = select "off"

I also turned off the screen saver for good measure

Setup > Tools > Screen Saver = "off"

Once you finish this make sure to go back and manually turn it back on

Start Menu> Program files > Hp > hp6500 > Click the "activate scan to computer" hyperlink

Hope this helps

HP Recommended

I turned off the power saving feature many moons ago. I'll test it with the screen saver off.

HP Recommended
After reading many postings, and NOTHING helps, this fixed the scan problem. ''printer not found'' or ''scan not activated''. Uninstall printer software completely with HP uninstall option. THEN...go to control panel, programs and features (win7) or ''add remove programs''. Uninstall everything related to HP. Restart your computer. Unplug printer from network or computer. Reinstall software, DO NOT connect the printer at this stage. Follow all the promts. When a screen shows, asking how the printer is conected, either usb or network, choose your connection type, the printer must still NOT be connected. Click next. THEN the software will ask you to connect the printer. NOW connect it. Follow all the prompts. At the end it will show a screen about the software will now configure the printer. Click OK. A screen pops up with various options for the printer, like scan to computer and activate scan to computer. Click on activate scan to computer. Ignore error messages, just click OK on error messages. Now it's activated. Click on scan to computer, ignore error messages about some VP file not found, just click OK. Now the scan menu pops up. Voilla. These error messages will pop up everytime you want to scan, just ignore them, and click on OK. This fixed my client's printer with the scan problem.
HP Recommended

Hi,

My mother was experiencing this issue and I had been trying the above mentioned steps by several of the posts.  Uninstalling, reinstalling the software.  Changing from USB to Wireless... none of these worked. 

Finally, I stumbled upon some steps to try.  Part of what was mentioned in this thread, but not all worked until these steps.

We had tried to activate the scan but it had kept telling me that it couldn’t find the computer.

This is how I solved it on her Vista machine.

1. Run services from Start… Run.
  2. Find Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) and double click on it.  A dialogue box comes up.  On the “General” tab check to see if it is running. If not, and try to start service, it showed me and error 1068.
  3. WIA is dependent on other services, so you need to make sure this two are running
    a) In services find - Remote Procedure Call and double click on it.  On the General tab… this was set to automatic and was running.  (Closed window)
    b) In services find - Shell Hardware Protections – double click on it.  On the General tab … this was disabled, changed it to automatic, click apply, chose to run it and press okay
  4. Find WIA services again – double click on it … this was disabled, changed to automatic, click apply, chose to run it and press okay. 
  5. No restart required.

Had her re-activate the scan again from her HP software (not Solution Center) and it started scanning to her PC.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up + in the post that helped you. Please mark the post that solves your problem as Accepted Solution.
HP Recommended

Does that work after a windows shutdown, and restart?

HP Recommended
Not sure to whom you directed the question. But yes, my clients computers on the network are still working fine, after many shutdowns. For any scan, scan from the HP interface, and choose ''save as'' pdf, word etc. No need to scan from any other software.
HP Recommended

I was replying to the post above your latest one, but, this does not fix the problem if I walk over to my scanner and select SCAN TO COMPUTER. That seems to be the BIG issue here....not the ability to use the HP interface. That seems to work "most of the time."

HP Recommended
I will come back to you on this issue. It's past midnight by me. Did not test it the other way round, as my client is using the interface. Did you click on ''activate scan to computer'' on the interface?? If you did, and it's still not working, and you followed my steps above exactly, I will do my best to try and help you.
HP Recommended

Oh yes, activate to scan gives error message. One must shut down either computer and or printer, and sometimes both, for a restart, to be able to use that option. I've been working on this problem ever since I've had the printer, as well as many others. It's very frustrating to say the least. Fortunately for me, the scanner is just across the room, but others who are trying to 'scan to computer' to other floors, etc. it's REALLY a pain.

HP Recommended
It is of utmost importance, that ALL computers experiencing this problem must uninstall the HP software for this printer completely. Then under ''add remove programs'' or ''programs and features'' make sure the software is uninstalled. Then reinstall the printer, but do NOT connect it to the netwotk at this stage. Use the CD supplied to install the printer. Then ONLY when the software ask you to connect the printer, ONLY THEN connect the printer to the network. If you leave the printer connected to the network, when reinstalling, you will keep on having this problem. Then when installation is complete, click activate scan to computer. These steps must be followed for each computer having this problem.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.