Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Please, somebody help, or forward my plea to somebody who has a solution to HP scanned photos ruined by hundreds of random white or black pixels...

I have intentionally only bought HP scanners for 15 years and used Windows 3.1X through Win7 with them all, but every time I scan photographs, whether at the 150 default or 300, the result is always riddled with hundreds (even thousands of tiny white or black pixels.  Using XP with the HP CD installed, or using Win7 and having to download a different HP software with Win 7, the problem is the same.  I have spent many hours removing random pixels from just one photograph.  I've don that many times with professional school photos, as well as other photos.

My mother died, leaving six photo albums.  My son wishes scans of them.  I have even toyed with renegade personal inventions such as double scans offset with background transparency in many ways, but I'm facing six full family photo albums to scan without hundreds of white or black pixels spoiling all those scans.

Is it possible that Photoshop could quick-fix the problem for all those photos?  If so, I'll spend the money to buy it, even though I'm on a fixed, low retirement income.  

BUT... PLEASE TELL ME THAT HP SCANNERS CAN DO THE JOB, AND PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO MAKE THAT HAPPEN!

Appreciatively, /\/\arvin

(computer enthusiast, HS teacher, corporate computer technician, hi-tech software trainer since the Atari 400 in 1982)

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Greetings @MarvinWN,

Thanks for the post. 

I understand that you are getting black dots when you scan from your printer. Don't worry, I will be glad to help. 

Have you checked the scanner settings on your computer?

May I know the model of the printer you are using?

What is the operating system installed on your computer?

Recommend you to make a copy on your printer and check. 

If the issue persists on the copy as well, recommend you clean the scanner glass and try again. 

After cleaning the scanner glass, please make a copy again. 

If the issue persists, please contact our phone support for the upgrade or service options for your printer. 

HP Printers - Fixing Scan Quality Issues

Please provide the request information for further assistance. 

There are many photo editing softwares available on the internet, you can them at your own discretion. 

Keep me posted. 

If the information I've provided was helpful,

Please give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accepted Solution" and "Kudos" buttons,

That’ll help us and others see that we’ve got the answers!

Good Luck.

Chimney_83
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

You misunderstand.  Not my printer; my printer has no scanner.  My printer is okay but my HP Scanjet G4010 produces single white pixels from photographs, both old and new.

I have cleaned both sides of the glass.  There are single black pixels, but the single, pure white pixels are the most troublesome.  There are hundreds of them, no matter whether I scan at 150 or 300.  It doesn't matter.  These are single pixels  (NOT groups of pixels)  all over the scans.

IS THIS NORMAL WITH SCANS OF PHOTOGRAPHS?

My theory has been that the photo paper has tiny bumps that distort or reflect the light.

IS THAT TRUE ?

If so, then it would seem that there is no solution to the problem.  Or do you recommend a software that can detect the hundreds of white pixels and automatically change them to match the color of adjacent pixels?  Maybe the isolated black pixels, as well?

/\/\arvin

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.