Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6600 e-All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I can send faxes.  I set-up the fax receiving as auto answer.  The machine rings, tries to pick it up, says connecting, and then fails.  Fax does not come in.  If it is ringing and I press Ok the fax comes in - it prints.  How do I make the auto receive work?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@FiloADL

Printer Website Support Homepage - includes How-to, Troubleshooting, Drivers, and more:

HP Officejet 6600 e-all-in-one

The fax may be failing for one or more reasons.

Help is available in the User Manual:

User Guide, Chapter 5, Page 58 > Changing the fax settings

If the number of rings set (for example) is not the issue, you may need to read / scan the entire Fax section (Chapter 5, starting on Page 43).

More information is also available in Chapter 8 - Solve a problem, Page 99:  The fax test failed

Click the Thumbs Up to say Thanks!

Click Post that answers your question "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks for your question. How many rings have you setup for the printer to auto-answer? I have seen instances where the sending fax machine gives up just at the time that the receiving fax machine answered the call. By any chance, when you do press "OK", do you press it after only the first one or two rings?

Please try setting up the printer to auto-answer in a fewer number of rings than what was originally set and see if this fixes the issue. 

Also, please note that if you are using a telephone answering machine, it would need to be configured to pick-up the call before the printer. 

http://support.hp.com/sg-en/document/buu04072

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

*Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left*
Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue
HP Recommended

Hi FiloADL,

I suggest you connect a Telephone Ansering Machine (TAM) to the 2-EXT port of the printer. Printer set to maximum rings to answer. Set the TAM to minimum rings and when the there is an incoming call, let TAM answer the call first. Printer will start to eavesdrop the line for fax tone, if the incoming call is a fax call, printer will takeover the call from TAM.

Hopefully this works for your case.

Thanks.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.

Let others know this reply was helpful by accepting this solution. You can also show your appreciation by giving kudos.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.