Question

Top Student
gerridm
Message 1 of 7 (6,532 Views)
Accepted Solution

Auto answer on 6500 shuts it self off

The Auto answer on my 6500 all in one shuts it self off after a short amount of time, and I would like to be able to recieve faxes during the day when Im gone.  Does anyone know how to keep the auto answer on all the time.

Thank You

Student
blabaree
Message 2 of 7 (6,506 Views)

Re: Auto answer on 6500 shuts it self off

I have exactly the same problem: the AutoAnswer function on my new OfficeJet 6500 Wireless turns itself off after a few minutes. I hope someone has the answer to this. Makes it useless if you're not right there to receive an incoming fax!

Thanks!

Top Student
gerridm
Message 3 of 7 (6,498 Views)

I figured it out.   The machine after sitting idle for a few minutes it goes to sleep to save power.  One of the things that it shuts off is that little light next to the auto answer button.  The machine will wake up when a fax comes and the light will come on,  the fax will be received and the  and the machine go to sleep again in a few minute.  You can test my theory on your machine by touching any button on the machine and wake it back up.  The light will be on.  why they decided to have this light go off and lead to this unnecessary confusion is beside me.  How much juice could that little LED use anyway.,

Hope this helps

Student
outlaw_the
Message 4 of 7 (5,284 Views)

Well ON my machine it docent! I have it set to 2 rings and it Will not Pick up if the Light is out till I press the button! I Am thinking about tapeing the BUTTON down. Because a fax machine that will not auto answer is worthless!!

Student
traveler68
Message 5 of 7 (4,738 Views)

I'm using an Officejet J6480 All-in-One and it shuts itself off, but there is no specific time limit involved.  Did you find an answer to the problem?  I need this machine to stay on all of the time.

Student
kevintex
Message 6 of 7 (4,660 Views)

Hi, I was having the same set of problems.  I ran through the menus on the fax machine itself way too many times trying to find a way to set the Auto Answer on by default.  I decided to open up the HP Solutions Center software on my PC and then ran the Fax Setup Wizard (under Settings/More Fax Settings).  I noticed that if I told the wizard that I share the phoneline with a voiceline, then the wizard will set the Auto Answer off.  I imagine that if I have to hit the Auto Answer button on the fax machine, it doesn't "take it" and loses the setting after reaching sleep mode.

Well, I told it there's no voiceline and the Auto Answer is on by default now (e.g. doesn't require me to press the Auto Answer button).  The machine will go into sleep mode (it displays a scrolling message after about 15 minutes from a print job and for some strange reason it takes 30 minutes to go back to sleep if you wake it from the sleep mode), but once the "OK" button is pressed on the front display the machine will wake up and the Auto Answer light lights up again.  Oh and definitely don't press the Auto Answer key if the machine is sleeping; it will shut off the feature but wake up the machine giving you the impression that the Auto Answer was off!

Also, double check the settings under Settings/Fax Settings in the HP Solutions Center software.  This dialogue box is super slow but be patient and click on the Distinctive Ring tab.  Make sure the Auto Answer check box is selected here too and that it's set to pick up on the correct ring setting.

I remember when I first bought the machine the Auto Answer wasn't an issue.  I think the problem turned up after perhaps a power failure or upgrading to the Windows 7 version of the HP Solution Center software (it seemed like it took HP ages to come up with the updated sofware).  I can't remember the last time I ran through that setup, but I think I'll double check the settings after a power failure or an HP software upgrade from now on.

Good luck.  Hope this helps.

Intern
HP-CompaqPC
Message 7 of 7 (342 Views)

Kevintex (if you're still around), or Anyone--

In your last post about this Auto Answer problem, this was part of your answer....

====================================

"Well, I told it there's no voiceline and the Auto Answer is on by default now (e.g. doesn't require me to press the Auto Answer button). The machine will go into sleep mode (it displays a scrolling message after about 15 minutes from a print job and for some strange reason it takes 30 minutes to go back to sleep if you wake it from the sleep mode), but once the "OK" button is pressed on the front display the machine will wake up and the Auto Answer light lights up again. Oh and definitely don't press the Auto Answer key if the machine is sleeping; it will shut off the feature but wake up the machine giving you the impression that the Auto Answer was off!"

=================================

My question:

If one has to press a button for wake up and Auto Answer to light up again, how does that help to keep it on all the time?  How does one keep Auto Answer on all the time, so it will pickup incoming faxes/calls automatically?

My officejet J6480 auto answer light keeps turning off and thus can't receive faxes (I can fax out), despite all the settings in HP Solutions. Although I have not tried the setting for "no voiceline" (as you suggest earlier in your post) because I'm not at office now. But will try it tomorrow.

And I have tried unplugging printer and replugging. That helps for a while and then auto answer light goes out.

But if that doesn't help, what helps keep auto answer light on?

ALSO, does anyone know if keeping the computer/laptop on has any effect to machine being able to receive faxes?

Thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation