Question

Honor Student
TedinVA
Message 1 of 5 (4,780 Views)

Best OCR software for Photosmart 7520

My Photosmart 7520 does not appear to have come with integrated OCR software.  Is it possible to use another HP or third party OCR application to make this printer R CRs?

Provost
ShlomiL
Message 2 of 5 (4,768 Views)

Re: Best OCR software for Photosmart 7520

Hi,

The software provided for your device indeed does not include OCR functionality, you may use any 3rd part OCR solution to scan as editable text.

If you have Microsoft Office suite there is a good chance the office suite provide this kind of capabilities:

Office 2007 or 2010:
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/14595/ocr-anything-with-onenote-2007-and-2010/

Office 2003:
http://agsci.psu.edu/it/how-to/perform-ocr-with-microsoft-office-2003-document-imaging

Beside that you may try any other software, Vuescan may provide you good OCR results for an afforadable price, as well there are more professional solution as ReadIris

Regards,
Shlomi

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos thumb up in the post.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution :smileyhappy:
Tutor
Patrick-London
Message 3 of 5 (4,601 Views)

I had this problem too.

My previous HP all-in-one, an HP C309a, came with bundled IRIS OCR software that would create searchable PDFs.

The new HP 7520 also came with what seemed at first sight to be "IRIS OCR" software -- except it doesn't do OCR, unless I pay £80 to IRIS to upgrade.

Seeking a workaround without having to pay largely as much for the upgrade as I paid for the 7520, I found that if I scanned a document and created a (non-searchable) PDF with the 7520's bundled, basic HP scan software, and uploaded that PDF to Google Docs, then Google Docs itself seems to OCR the file because when I view it in Google Docs, I can search for text and copy text out of the file. The OCR-ing isn't perfect that way, but maybe it wouldn't be, either, with the £80 upgrade...

Student
kitvail
Message 4 of 5 (2,404 Views)

Just purchased a Photosmart 7520 after being told it had ocr. After discovering that it doesn't, am hoping to find a good add-on softward that will work well.

Tutor
Patrick-London
Message 5 of 5 (2,394 Views)

I solved this problem with ABBYY FineReader 11. It works very well and has a lot of options "under the bonnet / hood" that give you a lot of control over how it operates. You may occasionally find it on special offer at reduced price, and you can download it for a limited period free trial. Their website is here:

http://finereader.abbyy.com/

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation