Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended
hp laserjet 400 MFP M425dn
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Our HP laserjet 400 MFP M425dn suddenly started printing blank pages when I feed pages into the copy tray on top of the lid, and go through the "optimize" copy routine.  When I place the original on the glass and select Copy, the copies are missing the top of the page.  I have gone around and around in the settings and made sure I have selected Plain paper normal size (not legal, etc), but haven't solved the problem.  Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There is an "Reset Factory Default" option in the tools menu. Or you can hard reset the printer. This forum post has the details: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Cold-Reset-HP-LaserJet-Pro-400-MFP-M42...

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

When place document on glass, try line up the top left corner to the corner marked with an arrow, face down.

When load document in ADF, load face up.

Do the result change? 

**Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue. **
HP Recommended
Rather than a generic solution I'm going to start off with the specific question.

When you are scanning from the ADF what position does the scanner head move to?

The scanner head should position itself under the spot where he paper feeds through from the ADF.

If the scanner head is hanging up and positions itself under the glass in a spot where the light doesn't shine on the paper then it can't scan what's on the paper and it might be shining off either the white backing that's opposite the big flatbed or the white calibration strip on the bottom side of the glass.

Next question when you scan from the flatbed where does the scan head start scanning? It should start off to the side of the document and go under the full document.

If the scanner is actually passing the skinhead over the entire document wallets laying on the flatbed but you're not getting a whole document out then the scanner control board would be my suspect. But it could also be a scanner failure.

If its in warranty I woulthe go ahead and find the toll free number and contact HP tech support.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a technician for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. <g>

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Yes, I am placing the paper face-up in the top paper feed tray, and placing the paper in the proper place on the glass.  I should mention that these functions have worked perfectly for the entire year I have had this printer, but it started not working after a colleague pushed some buttons to try to make it print in duplex.  I wonder if he changed some setting that I don't know about?  It is just strange that it is printing blank pages now. Is there a way to erase all of the settings and bring it back to factory defaults?

HP Recommended

There is an "Reset Factory Default" option in the tools menu. Or you can hard reset the printer. This forum post has the details: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup/Cold-Reset-HP-LaserJet-Pro-400-MFP-M42...

HP Recommended

blank copy when using feed try.  have reset to factory default settings and have gone through the steps of unplugging from wall and printer for 30 seconds. stilll blank. will scan and print from computer. completely blank copy when opening lid to copy also. have just replaced ink cartridges with genuine ink cartridges

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.