Question

Top Student
1mred
Message 1 of 26 (20,550 Views)
Accepted Solution

CONVERTING SCAN TO ocr TEXT FILE

I purchased a new All In One Deskjet 4440 recently.

I used the set up disc that came with the unit, and installed the FULL INSTALLATION.

I cannot get the scanned document to save to a text file.  I even went on line to the HP site and downloaded new drivers and softwear to no avail.

I have read all of the trouble shooting data and have discovered that program doesn't include the OCR part of the program.

OCR is what converts a scanned document to editable text.

Ultimately, I spent an hour and a half (1& 1/2 hours) on the phone with Tech Support at HP.  The tech was very polite and patient, but could not fix the problem either.  The Tech even tried downloading addition Drivers and additional software.

All to no avail.

This is the first HP printer scanner that I have ever owned, and thus far I am highly disappointed.

I never had this kind of trouble with several Lexmark printers and all in one units, except for the price of the replacement ink cartridges.

I still have a perfectly good and operational all in one Lexmark, it's just out of ink.

If anyone has any idea of what is wrong with my new HP, I would be most grateful for any help.

Thanks much,

Ed

Teacher
scandroid
Message 2 of 26 (20,531 Views)

Re: CONVERTING SCAN TO ocr TEXT FILE

Ed,

See if this link and download fix your problem.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&softwareitem=oj-7...

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
Top Student
1mred
Message 3 of 26 (20,527 Views)

Hi scandroid,

Thanks for the response.

While waiting for the next day callback from HP Tech Support in India, I logged into this discussion site and found that my new install software didn't include a program with OCR.

I went to the HP site and downloaded "HP Photo Smart Full Program".(C309a)

I installed it and it fixed my problem.

I read many entries on the blog of folks who had the same problem.

The above mentioned Download is a deffinate fix for the problem.

Ed

Student
waterlilies13
Message 4 of 26 (20,492 Views)

HP support is telling me that my new C4680 photosmart will not allow me to convert scanned doc to rtf or txt on my week old pc with windows 7.  Can anyone help me?  I could do anything I wanted with a ten yr old pc.  Very disappointed and frustrated that I spent a million dollars on something that is NOT user friendly.

Teacher
scandroid
Message 5 of 26 (20,429 Views)

waterlilies13,

There is a new software solution for Windows 7.  It should allow you to scan to a doc, rtf, or txt file. It will not scan directly to Office 2007.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareCategory?product=3739150&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&cc=us

Make sure you download the full solution or OCR will not be included.

I work for HP, but these words are mine alone.
Honor Student
ThomS
Message 6 of 26 (20,424 Views)

I had the same problem with a Photosmart B209a. Running Windows 7. Problem was solved by downloading file OJ6500vE709_Full_13.exe for an office series printer that has the OCR package. (Thanks to telephone support). Ran that file and chose what software to install, it was the OCR package. Can now scan "Text (OCR) to RTF File", "Text (OCR) to WORD 2007" or "Document to searchable PDF". Also have the original "Document to PDF, E-mail or TIF."

Hope this is of help to others.

Honor Student
Jimmuck
Message 7 of 26 (20,377 Views)

Hi' I bought an HP Photosmart6500 All-in-one and the Software disc didn't work with Windows 7 Home Premium.

D/Loaded Full D/Load for these clashes.

Still can't convert TIF or JPG files to TEXT, I tried editing in Picasa3 and copying/pasting from e-mail and can't get anything to change ... any solutions PLEASE! I have 15 pages of Text to amend/change and I'm a newbie running out of patience, LoL!

Student
cjt46
Message 8 of 26 (20,147 Views)

I hyad the same problem with a Photosmaet B209a under Windows 7 as you did, ThomS. So I searched for, and found, uour file - it is for an OfficeJet 6500 - but when I ran the file it wouldn't let me select just the OCR package. So I  had to install the lot - but guess what? installation stopped because it couldn't find that exact model! Am I missing a trick here? How did you do it?

Thanks for uour help,  Chris

Teacher
green_apple
Message 9 of 26 (19,767 Views)

Hi ctj46,

When installing the 6500 software choose to connect using USB, then later when the software asked you to connect the USB cable, click the checkbox that said you want to connect it later. the installation will finish

I work for hp but my statement above is my own, not of hp
Student
dbtjazz
Message 10 of 26 (18,613 Views)

I have an HP C4599 All In One Printer/Copier/Scanner....cant get the OCR function to work.....re loaded the software...but no OCR option on there...downloaded the OCR driver from HP site...but computer says none of the current software will support it...... But the manual says OCR  should work.....I went to HP solution center...it let me set up a shortcut to scan a document directly to Microsoft Word 2007......but when I go to Scan something, that choice doesnt appear anywhere......HELP

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation