Question

Student
imadummy
Message 1 of 14 (19,997 Views)

Can't Use Scanner: Photosmart C4280

I have recently purchased a Mac and can use my HP printer without installation. When I tried to use the scanner I got the message "usb not connected". I inserted the set up disk. Installation went smoothly until it got to the end when I got this message "Hp10 Trap monitor quit unexpectedly". I ignored that message and tried to use the set-up assistant screen. No device was listed in the setup assistant. I uninstalled all components of the installation and tried again with the same result. Does anyone know how I can get my scanner to work? 
Honor Student
QueenAnne
Message 2 of 14 (19,921 Views)

Re: Can't Use Scanner: Photosmart C4280

I am having the same problem ,  was hoping i would find the answer on this website.
Honor Student
Renee-R
Message 3 of 14 (19,852 Views)

Possibly related problem:

On Mac OS 10.4, my 2-year-old C4280 All-in-One continues to scan from the desktop via HP Scan Pro. But beginning several months ago, when I push the Scan button on the All-in-One, I get "USB not connected" error message. Since I can both print and scan to the C4280 from the iMac, it appears there is not a USB connection problem. (The Copy buttons continue to function.)

I am not aware of any changes that would have precipitated the change. 

Honor Student
lufarrar
Message 4 of 14 (19,757 Views)

I had the same problems as those listed below. Some nice person posted the link below on another C4280 problem, so I gave it a try. I downloaded the software and went thru the setup steps. So far, the scanner works perfectly.

Thanks to the nice person who posted the fix. HP was of absolutely no help.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-55008-2&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&lang=en&os=219&product=3192753

Honor Student
Renee-R
Message 5 of 14 (19,635 Views)

I just tried lufarrar's suggestion below...and it worked!
Honor Student
daoudt
Message 6 of 14 (19,548 Views)

I have a similar problem with the 4480 all one printer, "scanner not found" keeps popping up. Everything else works. I'm wondering if the c4400 software is supposed to work with the 4480, no other software is available.
Honor Student
Ellavemia
Message 7 of 14 (18,582 Views)

This same exact thing happened to me but I'm pretty upset that there isn't a basic driver available for scanning on this C4280. I was trying to get around installing the huge and useless full feature package and I thought I'd be fine with the basic, up until I tried scanning. I really dislike this bulky Photosmart Software Suite. Why oh why can't HP put options for basic drivers on the CD and website for those of us who don't need the extra stuff?
Honor Student
colbyssac
Message 8 of 14 (17,928 Views)

Hi,

I'm very new to this message board, first time for me.

I own a C4280 all in one (Photosmart). As for the scanner, I don't have a clue,  I've tried to scan a page and would like to have it scanned into my email account??   I've followed the instructions, still no luck.  If you have time or patience, please give me a general idea of how to scan.

I recently replaced my black ink cartridge and am now getting a message:  to install plain white paper and press o.k., then an alignment page prints out, which I need like a hole in my head.  Then it tells me to place the alignment page in, and then tells me the allignment failed???  

After pressing several buttons, the correct screen does come on, but every time it's turned on, I get the same message to install plain white paper.

I've unplugged the unit and turned it back on which doesn't help.

Any suggestions?

Thanks much,

Honor Student
colbyssac
Message 9 of 14 (17,928 Views)

Hi,

I'm very new to this message board, first time for me.

I own a C4280 all in one (Photosmart). As for the scanner, I don't have a clue,  I've tried to scan a page and would like to have it scanned into my email account??   I've followed the instructions, still no luck.  If you have time or patience, please give me a general idea of how to scan.

I recently replaced my black ink cartridge and am now getting a message:  to install plain white paper and press o.k., then an alignment page prints out, which I need like a hole in my head.  Then it tells me to place the alignment page in, and then tells me the allignment failed???  

After pressing several buttons, the correct screen does come on, but every time it's turned on, I get the same message to install plain white paper.

I've unplugged the unit and turned it back on which doesn't help.  (colbyssac@hotmail.com)

Any suggestions?

Thanks much,

Student
khashmere
Message 10 of 14 (14,262 Views)

This was perfect! thank you for the time saved searching for help and the waste it would have been to sit on the phone with tech support.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation