Question

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 1 of 16 (407 Views)
Accepted Solution

Can't scan at all & printer freezes up my laptop if turned on more than 3 mins??

[ Edited ]

Can't get my Laserjet M1212nf MFP to scan anything at all, it also freezes up my laptop if it's on more than 3 mins.  I have it connected via USB cord to my Dell laptop running Windows XP SP2.  I have tried running the diagnostic tool but it freezes up and then gives me the same error message as the printer does when I try to scan something.  The "sorry but scan software needs to close" error message. I also removed the drivers and reinstalled both from the original CD & from the download at HP.com both times it just froze up my laptop as soon as the drivers were installed. I'm not sure what else to try??

I know that it's not a hardware problem because the copy function of the printer works great!!  The scan bar moves back & forth it just won't scan and then send the data to my laptop.  So my guess is it's a software problem but I'm not expert??

It's been this way for about 6 mos now and I just try not to use it much but it's starting to irritate me that I spent so much on something I can't use!!  Can someone PLEASE help me out with this??  Thank You!!!

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 2 of 16 (367 Views)

Re: Can't scan at all & printer freezes up my laptop if turned on more than 3 mins??

WTD Boss, to start out sounds like this is a driver issue. I want to start with being sure that the removal of the software and reinstallation happened in the best possible fashion. I want you to follow my steps so I can be sure that we are both starting on the same page. 

First if you use a USB cord, make sure to remove it (this is important). Do not plug it back in until the software directs you to. Then go through the Devices and Printers, Programs and Features and Device Manager folders and insure that all copies, files, and programs related to the printer are removed. Then as directed, restart the computer. 

In the START menu type "%temp%" and press ENTER. Here I want you to press Ctrl+A and hit DELETE. Some of the files will not allow you to delete them, skip those files and delete the majority that allows it. 

find and install the FULL FEATURE SOFTWARE if it is available :

Install that and let me know the result! 

Have a great day!

-Spencer 
Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 3 of 16 (353 Views)

Re: Can't scan at all & printer freezes up my laptop if turned on more than 3 mins??

Hi Spencer,

I really appreciate the help!!  I did everything you listed in the exact order you listed it and the first time that I downloaded the new software it didn't install the printer and got hung up during the install process, so I shut down the computer and started over. The second time it successfully installed the drivers and the printer but completely froze up my computer, I had to do a hard shutdown to get the laptop to owrk again.

Unfortunately now the printer won't print or scan and it locks up my laptop within minutes of turning it on??  It's actually gotten worse now....lol!!!  I'm beginning to think that I got a bad printer??  I don't know what to do now cause at least it would print before, even though it would lock up my laptop if it had it turned on more than about 3 mins!!

Can you think of something else to try??  Thanks again for all your help!!!

Steve

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 4 of 16 (350 Views)

That is rather troublesome, but those kinds of issues should not be created by the printer software. they are likely a result of the software (possibly) interacting with your OS or other software running in the background of your computer. 

Alright, I want you to remove the software from that user account like we did before. Then I want you to make an alternate user account and set it up as you normally would (give it admin permissions and such). Then install the printer on that clean account and see how it responds to you. 

Do that and get back to me and I will respond as quickly as I can! 

-Spencer 

Have a wonderful day! 

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 5 of 16 (329 Views)

Hi Spencer,

I apologize for it taking me so long to get back to you but my kids are just about to get out of school for summer so we've had field trips, open houses, etc...

I completely deleted the printer from my computer just like before and then created a new user account, I then downloaded the software & drivers and installed them and the same problems happened again.  It locked up my laptop completely the first time when it finished installing the printer, so I had to do a hard shut down and restart and then it locked it up for the second time when I tried to print something after restarting, and then I did a hard shutdown again and restarted. This time I tried to scan something instead of printing and got the usual error message about the scan software has encountered a problem and needs to shut down, but it didn't lock up my computer thankfully.

So I'm not really sure what to do anymore??  It just keeps getting worse and worse!!  It's really frustrating cause at least I could print before but can't even do that now...lol!!  

Oh well, got any other ideas??...lol!!  I really appreciate all of your help with this!!! :smileyhappy:

Thanks,

Steve

Regents Professor
AlwaysNeon
Message 6 of 16 (326 Views)

Interesting, Steve, alright, what happens when you try to use the universal print drivers for this unit? Try the PCL 6 drivers :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ProductList.jsp?locale=en_US&taskId=135&prodTypeId=...

Let me know how that goes and I will get right back with you! 

I hope you are having a wonderful week, and I hope that the weather where you are located is as beautiful there as it is here! 

-Spencer

PS :: No worries about responding back too quickly, you take care of your family and your other needs and I will be here all throughout the week to assist you in any way that I can. 

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 7 of 16 (321 Views)

Well this time I can't even delete one of the drivers from the server properties box on the printers & faxes page...lol!!  I successfully removed both the HP printer and HP fax from the printers & faxes page, deleted one of the drivers from the server properties box and deleted all files in the %temp% that the computer would allow me to delete.  But even with all of that when I go back to the printers & faxes page, then click file & server properties it still won't let me delete the other set of HP drivers giving me an error message that says,"Unable to remove HP Laserjet M1212nf MFP,Intel,Windows 2000 or XP driver. The specified printer driver is currently in use."  So I'm not sure what's going on now??...LOL!!!

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 8 of 16 (320 Views)

I'm gonna go ahead and restart my computer and see if that either removes the other driver or at least allows me to remove it once it's restarted.

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 9 of 16 (314 Views)

Ok restarted computer and finally got it to let me remove the other print driver from server properties box.

Installed the PCL6 universal print drivers and it wouldn't even print the test page, plus it almost froze up the computer again. This time though I saw that it was trying to freeze up so I turned off the power to the printer and after about a minute the computer started working fine again.  Then I turned the power to the printer back on & just tried to print a screen page to see what would happen??  It just kept coming back that the document failed to print, even though it would show the document in the HP print preview layout box but it just wouldn't print it.  It's almost like the printer is not hooked to the computer even thought it is and I've checked the printer cable about 3 times now...LOL!!!

So what do you think??

Steve

Tutor
wtdboss01
Message 10 of 16 (311 Views)

Hi Spencer,

You're gonna love this one...LOL!!!  I was once again checking the printer cable on the back of the printer when I saw the ethernet plug and thought maybe it would work better if it was networked??  So I was looking for the manual and found the original quick setup page that came with the printer and noticed that it said to just turn on printer and then plug in USB cable. So I went back and wiped off everything having to do with the printer again and then plugged in the USB cable and went thru the steps like I'd just pulled the printer out of the box.  To my total surprise it went all the way thru the install w/o freezing up my computer and at the end printed off a Print Test Page.  So I then tried printing a few other docs including a screen print and it worked like a charm!!...LOL!!!

However there's still the problem of no scanner capabilities and in fact when I go to start, all programs, HP, and then click on the "Scan To" button it takes me to the fax setup page which I've carefully setup 3 times now and it still won't take me to the Scan To Menu so that I can scan docs, any ideas??  

I went into C drive, program files, HP folder and looked and there is no scan folders or icons at all??  When the printer was installed before we started all of this there was a "Scan To" icon in the HP folder in the program files of C drive.  So I'm not sure what happened there??

But at least the printer is working again and it's not freezing up my laptop so far anyways...LOL!!!  Knock on wood!!

Let me know what you think about the "Scan To" not working right whenever you get time ok??  Thanks again for all of your help and patience!!!  Have a great evening and week...

Steve

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation