Cannot Connect to WiFi (243 Views)
Honor Student
Loki2461
Message 1 of 8 (243 Views)

Cannot Connect to WiFi

I have an officejet 6700. When I enable security on my router, my printer cannot connect to the Wifi. The message i keep getting is that the password is incorrect. I have tried changing the password several times. I have changed security modes (WPA, WPA2) with encryption types (TKIP, AES) nothing works. I know that the password is correct because i tried it with other wireless devices with no problem.

When I disable security, then it connects to my Wifi and i can do updates, printing, scanning, etc.

I have used HP's scan and print doctor tool, and it finds the printer (because i set it up without security), but cannot connect to it. 

The diagnostic tests confirm that it can find my network and others, but cannot connect because it failed security. 

Provost
banhien
Message 2 of 8 (239 Views)

Re: Cannot Connect to WiFi

Hi,

Just for this test: Have you tried to use WEP ?  I know many printers do not support other type of key.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.
Honor Student
Loki2461
Message 3 of 8 (228 Views)

I have tried WEP as well and it did not take. I know that the password is correct becuase it works with several other devices. 

The manual for my printer says that it can handle WPA & WPA2 both enterprise and personal versions with TKIP and AES encryption. 

On the diagnostic page though it says that it is trying PSK encryption with WPA, but below that it says the encryption is on Auto. Is there a manual setting where i can tell it that the password is WPA2 Personal with AES encryption for example. 

I'm reading through more forums and am finding similar problems, but that the solution is either to use WiFi Protected Setup (WPS) or temporarily connect the printer to the router or computer to get the settings inot the printer correctly. 

WPS is not supported on my router and i have the printer all setup across the room. I can move it if need to but i don't understand why this doesn't work correctly.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 4 of 8 (224 Views)

You may not like this but I would suggest a hard reset of your router and reconfigre it from scratch.  Now try your encrpytion. 

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the left in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Honor Student
Loki2461
Message 5 of 8 (221 Views)

Did a 30-30-30 reset of the router last night. This resets it to factory defaults. I then reconfigured and set it up. Again all other devices are working fine including a couple laptops, cell phones and tablet. I do not believe that the issue is with the router. I believe the issue is with the printer's security settings. I think this is a bug.

Regents Professor
sabretooth04
Message 6 of 8 (214 Views)

Let's try this.  Set a static IP on the printer outside the DHCP range of the router.  Now try to connect with your encryption.

Say thanks by clicking the Kudos Thumbs Up to the left in the post.
If my post resolved your problem, please mark it as an Accepted Solution ...
I worked for HP but now I'm retired!
Student
BBBean
Message 7 of 8 (190 Views)

I can't get the printer to take a manual IP address, and when I try to connect using WPA or WPA2, the printer crashes to a blue screen that reads B85239F6. It connects just fine using WEP, but I need more security than WEP provides.

Honor Student
Loki2461
Message 8 of 8 (180 Views)

My problem was resolved by manually connecting my computer to the printer and sending the network settings over that way. Through this I have WPA2 with AES encryption and it is now working fine via wireless. 

I would suggest this method, if you have the correct USB cord for it. 

Also make sure that you have the printer with all the updates.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation