Question

Tutor
imposs1
Message 1 of 20 (944 Views)
Accepted Solution

Cannot scan wirelessly from printer to computer

I cannot scan wirelessly from my Photosmart Wireless B110 series printer to my laptop using Windows 7 IE. I can scan wirelessly using the laptop so that shows the system can work. It used to scan very well but it just stopped and I have tried everything I can find on the HP site. I have removed the printer and than restored it and I have uninstalled all software and tried to reinstall it but kept getting Fatal error message saying that there was a newer version of the same software already on my computer, even though I had removed everything I could find with the HP name on it! 

One specific problem seems to be that the laptop will not recognise the IP address of the printer so that all the troubleshooter programs think the printer is not installed whereas I can print wirelessly from the laptop and scan also. I would be grateful for help to be able to scan from the printer and hopefully find out why the IP address is not recognised.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 2 of 20 (889 Views)

Try to run the print and scan doctor. Check the results.
http://goo.gl/u3jDE

Here is another way to see if the HP software is downloaded.
1. Click on start menu
2. RIGHT CLICK on COMPUTER
3. Choose MANAGE
4. Choose DEVICE MANAGER
5. Click VIEW at the top, and choose SHOW HIDDEN DEVICES
6. Click under PRINTERS and IMAGE and DEVICES, to see if there is a photosmart under any folder. If so, RIGHT CLICK it, and uninstall.
**Click the KUDOS star on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Tutor
imposs1
Message 3 of 20 (882 Views)

Re: Cannot scan wirelessly from printer to computer

Thank you for your reply. I already have tried Print and Scan Doctor. It identifies my printer but all it will allow is "Fix Printing". The option to "Fix Scanning" which was there previously when the device worked fully is not there now which is why I need to consult you.

Regarding your other way, there are three references to the photosmart printer; two are under Imaging devices and the other is under Printers. When I right click to delete, the confirmation box asks if I also want to delete the driver software. Do I? If I delete this or if I only delete the printer, what should I do then? Do you want me to try to reinstall because when I have tried that previously, I get the Fatal error message which I described before.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 4 of 20 (876 Views)

Try to disable your firewall and anti-virus.

Another option you can do before you re-install is to perform a L3 uninstall.
http://goo.gl/bxjzY

Here is a link that will assist you with the uninstall. Please DO NOT perform a L4, if you are using an HP computer. Let me know the results. Try the disabling firewall and anti-virus first.
Please mark a reply "ACCEPTED AS SOLUTION" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Tutor
imposs1
Message 5 of 20 (844 Views)

Athough an HP page says that for "best results keep Firewall software enabled" I followed your advice and disabled it as well as my AV. I did an L3 uninstall twice, based on the link you provided but in both cases the re-install got stopped with the same Fatal error message that a "newer version of the same software was on the machine". 

Your link listed the HP files which could be removed but the link did not include the following files which were therefore retained after the uninstall (although they could have been removed).

HP Customer Participation Program

HP Smart Web Printing

HP Photo creations

HP Product Detection

HP Update

There was also an HP folder in C:smileytongue:rogram Files called HP Software Update which the link advised to be removed but I could not delete it even with Unlocker (which it also recommended).

I also ran services.msc and found several items which the link suggested should not be there. They were:

HP Network Devices Support

Net Driver HPZ12

PML Driver HPZ12

However I do not feel able to edit the Registry without step by step advice which the link did not provide so they too remained.

I got the impression that the link might be a bit out of date because it referred to XP and Vista but not to Windows 7 which I have. Perhaps the details would be different for 7. I hope you can suggest what I should do next.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 6 of 20 (813 Views)

Here is a link that (jason_h) provided with the fatal error. I know it says "solution center", but the steps works for this issue. Let me know what happens.

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-All-in-One-Install-Setup-e-g-Windows-8/Fatal-Error-when-install...

Tutor
imposs1
Message 7 of 20 (783 Views)

I am sorry to say that it did not work. Their  problem was different from mine because they had a continuous loop of install/ininstall but I still tried it. My Fatal error message says it has "found a newer version of the same software on this machine".It says this even after I have done several L4 uninstalls! I hope you can suggest something else. 

Tutor
imposs1
Message 8 of 20 (749 Views)

I am disappointed not to have heard from you since my last post 8 days ago. However I have been able to get rid of the Fatal error message. My remaining problem (I hope) is that I cannot scan by using the controls on the printer. I can scan using the laptop commands so that proves that the basic system works. All the uninstalling and reinstalling and manual cleaning that I have done to get rid of the Fatal error message has not corrected this remaining problem.

The main trouble seems to be that the laptop will not recognise the IP address of the printer even though everything else works wirelessly. I would be grateful for your help to be able to scan from the printer and hopefully find out why the IP address is not recognised.

Regents Professor
Rudy1906
Message 9 of 20 (707 Views)

[ Edited ]

I am so sorry for the delay. I did some research and noticed that I posted your response on another post by mistake. Glad to see that you got some functions working fine. 

When you press the scan button on the printer, what does it tell you?

Have you ACTIVATED "SCAN TO COMPUTER"  through the Solution Center?

Also, do you put the IP ADDRESS in the "address bar on the internet? 

Tutor
imposs1
Message 10 of 20 (696 Views)

My faith is restored in HP now that you have replied! I answer your questions in order.

1.When I press the scan button on the printer, it says: Scan error. Try scan from computer or see documentation. I can scan from the computer but I want also be able to do so from the printer. 

2.Solution Center does not work for me. It says it cannot run because the device installation is not complete. I guess this is because my computer does not recognise the IP address of my printer so the installation process is cut off early.I made sure there was a port with the IP address but that did not help.

3 I put the IP address in the address bar of my browser to scan from the computer. That works OK so I do not understand why the IP address is not recognised during installation. 

You can see that I really need help. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation