Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

When scanning 8.5"x11" documents using either the feed tray or the glass scanner bed, the output shows up as legal size (8.5"x14").  Can you tell me how to change the default scan size to 8.5"x11", so that we don't have to manually crop each scanned document? 

The product I'm using is the Officejet Pro 8600, and it is connected to 4 computers (2 desktops, 2 laptops) via network connection

Any [quick & easy] solution(s) would be much appreciated! We use the scanner multiple times daily, but it has become quite frustrating and inefficient. Thanks in advance!

Kelly

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Hey Kelly,

How are you initiating these scans?  

There is not a setting in the front panel for scanning with the 8600 that allows for selecting the size of the scanned document.  There is, however, an option when scanning from the HP Printer Assistant software that allows one to change the size of the scanned file.  However, this would have to be selected for each scanned file as it does not set a default.

Hope this helps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

So are you saying there is no way to set the default to scan as 8.5"x11"?

This seems very odd to me, considering the glass flat bed does not even accommodate legal size (8.5"x14") paper, yet that is what the scanned output is. Can't find the logic in that one.

I do appreciate your reply, but I'm still quite disappointed in this all-in-one.

HP Recommended

Hey Design360,

There is no way to set default as the unit is designed with the intentions of automatically recognizing the paper size on the glass.  I have tested a scan from a base, plus, and premium model 8600 where I am located.  All 8.5x11 scans come out as intended with no extra white space at the bottom of the scanned image.

Does this issue happen across all 4 computers (2 laptops and 2 desktops)?

If so, then the issue may be coming from the hardware itself.  I have the information for a reset on this product and will send these steps to you in a private message.  Please read Bob_Headrick's thread on printer resets, found here, prior to performing these steps.

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I will give this a try.

Thank you

HP Recommended

Hey Design360,

I wanted to check in with you and see if the issue is fixed or still continuing.  Were you able to get the line to go away?

I am not an HP employee.
HP Recommended

I am having the same problem!  How do I fix it?

HP Recommended

Hi KrissGazzerro,

I would like to help you adjust your scan settings. What operating system do you have on the computer, is it a Mac or a Windows and which version?

If you are unsure of the version, click on of the following links.

Which Windows operating system am I running?

Which Mac operating system am I running?

Please also let me know what program you are scanning from or if you are scanning form the front panel of the printer rather than opening a program on the computer.

With this information I will be able to provide you the solution to your inquiry.

Sunshyn2005
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

I'm running 64-bit Windows 7. This problem (scan size changed to legal from 8.5 x 11) started within the past 4 weeks. What's the solution?

HP Recommended

Any updates on this? Never use to have this problem. My company will not accept fax in Legal size and no way to change default to Letter size. I reinstalled HP Printer Assist software on 2 Win7 64 PCs and reset HP 8600ProPlus to factory default..nothing. Also checked all fax and scan setting and set to Letter still no change. Even Cover and Add page in "send a fax" show to be Legal size and if you scan a letter doc it just adds that legal length anyway.

Pleass help need to resolve this or I have to scan and email every exp rpt that I use to fax in on this printer.

Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.