Question

Honor Student
dedstoopid
Message 1 of 33 (7,980 Views)
Accepted Solution

Deskjet 1050a will not scan

I just bought the Deskjet 1050A J410a all in one and it wont scan.

Printing and copying are fine, but it wont scan using either HP software or windows

The scan diagnostic fails on WIA, ive follwed the instructions but no good. TWAIN passes on the diagnostic, but does not actually work in reality. 

Ive tried unistalling, reinstalling, restarting etc etc but to no avail. Ive used the software from the CD, from the website and from the auto downloader from the website. Ive tried the basic software and the full software. 

Im running windows 7 ultimate 64bit. Have also tried on another computer ruinning 32bit, but no joy there either.

The 32bit system is pretty much a vanilla install of win7 so cant think its a conflict.

Im absolutely at the end of my tether here, any help would be appreciated! Im getting to the point of going back to where I bought it, declaring it unfit for purpose and getting my money back.

Tutor
Miguel9
Message 2 of 33 (7,937 Views)

Re: Deskjet 1050a will not scan

Hi!

Just completed installing and run into same problem. Seems like quite common problem...

I have XP 32bit. Has HP given any advise to anybody about fixing this??

Provost
pcwizard
Message 3 of 33 (7,920 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hi 

Follow the steps below to check the WIA Service:

1. Type services.msc in run or search program and files

2. Scroll down to the WIA Windows Image Acquisition

3. Make sure that this service is running. Click Stop, and then Restart to make sure

4. Restart the computer

Restart the Dependencies services:

1. Click on Start, in Search box type “services” without quotes.

2. Scroll down until you see Windows Image Acquisition (WIA).

3. Double click on it and go to the tab called Dependencies.

4. 2 services should be listed.

5. Exit that window and look for Remote Procedure Call (RPC).

6. Make sure it’s on manual or if it is on Auto, just leave it. Make sure the service is started though.

7. Go to Shell Hardware Detection and Double click.

8. Set the Start up Type as Manual and hit Apply.

9. You should be able to Start the service by hitting Start.

10. Now you are done and the Twain Manager should be working and not give you an error. If the error still occurs, make sure you downloaded the new twain_32.dll file and place it in C>Windows>twain_32 replace the new twain_32 with the old. This should fix your problem

Check dependencies or sub dependencies:

Right click on WIA (Windows Imaging Acquisition) selecting first properties and then the dependencies tab. It should list: Remote Procedure Call RPC  and  Shell Harward Detection

Under RPC it will then list DCOM Service Process Launcher and RPC Endpoint Mapper Go back to the main services.msc list and then right click and start all the items listed as dependencies or sub dependencies under WIA

1.JPG

I am an HP employee.

Say Thanks by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
Student
royvalantine
Message 4 of 33 (7,904 Views)

Thanks! Thanks!Thanks!
Roy Valantine
Provost
pcwizard
Message 5 of 33 (7,902 Views)

Hi Roycalantine,

Did my post resolve your issue for you?

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
dedstoopid
Message 6 of 33 (7,875 Views)

id almost given up on this, so thanks for the rply wizard.

Sadly it hasnt resolved the issue for me. I can open the scanning application, but when i click scan the progress bar appears but doesnt move and then times out with the "cannot establish connection with scanner" dialogue. 

Ive tried all the steps in your post, have tried with firewall/antivirus disabled. Im guessing its probably a hardware fault.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 7 of 33 (7,869 Views)

Hi dedstoopid,

Can you make a copy from the printer?

Run the Utility below again, and let me know what errors you get?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02114802&cc=us&dlc=en&lang=en&lc=en&product=379...

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
mikaton89
Message 8 of 33 (7,848 Views)

[ Edited ]

Hello.

I have the same problem. I have tried reinstalling the device, installing the full and basic driver packages, and all the steps in this thread, problem still persists. HP Scan doesn't work, nor does any WIA-enabled software's scan option including Paint and Photoshop CS5.

Copy and printing works just fine.

Hoping to solve this soon as i really need the scan feature.

Edit: Forgot to mention i'm running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, and also tried running the applications as an administrator and in Windows XP SP3 combatility mode. The HP Diagnostic tool fails at WIA-scanning, others pass just fine. :smileyindifferent: 

Just incase this helps: Photoshop CS5 says "The selected device is no longer available" after being stuck at preparing image for about 10 seconds. The device sounds like it's preparing but then suddenly stops, no matter what i try.

Provost
pcwizard
Message 9 of 33 (7,815 Views)

Hi

If you have a digital webcam please disconnect the camera, and let me know if you have the same issue?

I am an HP employee.

Honor Student
mikaton89
Message 10 of 33 (7,806 Views)

I don't have a web camera. Only devices connected are speakers, mouse and keyboard and the printer.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation